Video Files on Forum ×

Master EQ and Compressor settings - I don't get it!

jaspeter

Parts of this post written during a time of temporary lapse of judgement due to age-related brain hardening have been struck... Carry on.

There seems to be a discrepancy between what is saved from the editor onto a file and what actually gets saved into the Stage Settings.  When I change the Level in the Master Compressor in the editor and save it to disk, that value gets recalled when I load the setting.  If I transfer that setting to the keyboard, the keyboard even says that the compressor setting is changed when it really isn't.  What it boils down to is that the compressor settings don't seem to be able to change from stage-setting to stage-setting.  The EQ values, however seem to be assignable in that manner.

Is there a way to save stage-setting specific compressor values?  Or will that be system-wide until you explicitly change the value?

That brings about another question which Brad addressed when I asked it before, but I still don't quite "get it" (sorry, Brad).  If I change the EQ input and output levels to both be zero, I still get sound, regardless of whether or not the compressor is pre- or post-EQ.  From the diagram in the manual, these processors are in series.  I would expect to get no sound in the case of zero-level EQ, since I'm either feeding the compressor nothing post-EQ, or the signal from the compressor is essentially ignored by the EQ when the compressor is pre-EQ.  It almost seems like there is some dry signal that bypasses the Master EQ.

I'm also not quite sure of the appropriate settings to turn the compressor "off".  The manual says that I should adjust the Threshold high and Ratio high for a limiter effect rather than compressor.  I believe that is what I want, a limiter that doesn't kick in until the highest possible threshold value.  Would that be correct?

For troubleshooting purposes, if you want to reproduce the issues I'm having with saving compressor values, do the following:
- Pull a stage-setting into the editor by hitting the refresh button in the upper right of the stage setting window (two blue arrows)

- Go to the Master tab and adjust the Compressor Level and save the file to disk

- Transfer that file back over to the PX-5S
- Notice that, no matter what stage setting you're in, the compressor values are the same now
- Load a different stage setting file from disk into the editor while watching the Master Compressor values in the editor.  They change!  Notice that they have also changed on the keyboard itself in the Master menu, but they don't actually change the value of the compressor until its value is changed on the keyboard.
- Now change the compressor value on the keyboard by simply hitting the + then the - key so it goes back to the same value.  The compressor is now at the value that the editor and PX-5S menu say it is and you can hear the change.

Jaspeter, have you set the Stage Set Filter to "off" in sys setting>general>stage set filter>compressor. It's set to " on" by default and prevents the master setting from changing between stage settings.

It's just a thought; I'm not near the keyboard at the moment, so can't check what you are experiencing.

• Like 1

Thanks, Ebonivor!  I completely forgot about the Stage Setting filter, and now I completely feel like a moron!  That was the problem.  Now I can go about doing what I was trying to do, although I still don't understand why I'm seeing the other behavior I mentioned, but that can be overlooked for now.

Thanks again!