Video Files on Forum ×

USB needs speeding up..

pax-eterna

I totally agree that it is slow...and frustrating. But I'm not sure that the usb speed is at fault. I think it might have more to do with polling the large number of parameters ( I assume using sysex ), comparing the status of the data in the editor and then writing it back to the PX-5S.

I could be way off the mark since I have only a limited understanding of midi, but there is a discussion on the MIDI Designer forum regarding a request for the settings in the app being updated when a device's controls were changed. The difficulty in doing so is apparently related to the amount of data that actually needs to be transferred.

The other indicator that it is not necessarily the usb speed of the PX-5S is the fact that my MacBook Pro with its i7 quad core processor handles the data updates much faster than my slower processor Compaq laptop, yet both are USB 2.0 with the same specs. So the bottleneck might be Data Editor.

I'm sure that somebody with far more knowledge than me can provide a factual explanation.

It's not USB 1.1, as I have used plenty of PC editors that are much quicker and deal with exactly the same sort of data (with different keyboards of course). I think I may have to work out a different methodology, perhaps use the editor to make changes (as I believe it is instant and destructive editing) and then use the WRITE button on the keyboard, instead of the Transfer command on the editor.

And I mean, MIDI data is not exactly the most demanding of resources!

Further, it would be nice to be able to edit Stage Settings offline...IE the keyboard MUST be connected to use the editor...Anyway it is what it is I suppose, but if Casio could at least look at their software to try and find ways to speed it up that would be appreciated. It's not likely to happen though ;) especially as the issue is probably the keyboard and not the editor. Maybe PX-6s would be better?

Agreed. 

I do like your idea of using the Write button on the keyboard. I was initially thinking that you would have to reload the data to to bring them back into sync, but at that stage, the data on the keyboard and that in the editor WOULD be the same. I'm going to try this method. Since I always save a copy to either the computer or the usb stick before editing, I can always go back to that if I need to.