Video Files on Forum ×

midi question: device ID or Basic Channel setting

leeskeys

I'm using midi settings on a Kurzweil PC3 to control changes on the Px5 (the keyboards are connected midi out [PC3] to Midi in [Px5]). All seems to be working OK, except that because the default midi channel for both instruments is 1, when I call up a Stage Setting for the Px5 keyboard, it channels the same sound to the PC3 keyboard. My question is- can I stop this from happening by changing the default midi channel for the Px5 to a number other than 1? If so, would I change Device ID or Basic Channel under System Setting--MIDI  to accomplish this?

I've been thinking about this since your previous post about midi setup.   Unless I'm mistaken, the ID will allow Sysex messages to be sent and received among a chain of devices by a specific device identified by ID.  If set to ALL then the device receives every message.  The Basic Channel is the channel on which program changes are received via midi for the global control of the unit.   Try changing the Basic Channel and see what happens. 

For the Kurz PC3 setup zone, the following settings:

• Destination: Midi
  • Channel: 15
  • Midi Bank: 112
  • MidiProg: whatever the stage setting is. For example, if I want to call up setting 2-9, I would enter 29.

For the Px-5:

• System Settings-- Midi-- Basic Channel 15 (recall that I changed this because using MIDI channel 1 also caused the PX5 stage setting to also go to the PC3 keyboard).

Cables: PC3 midi out  TO  Px5 Midi In

For running laptop VSTi's on the PX-5 and PC3, a USB cable is run between USB out on the PX5 and the laptop; same for the PC3. For the Px-5 stage to act as a midi controller (via USB) for the laptop, you will need to select a stage setting and modify it:

• Under Stage Set-- Midi Edit: turn "generator out" to off (turns off Px-5 internal sounds for that zone); "midi out" to off; and "USB out" to on. Select Prog & Bank Edit and fill in bank, MSB information specific to the VSTi you are connecting to.
  • There are also a couple of additional settings on the PC3 zone which have to be set to make sure this works correctly. If anyone else has a PC3 and is trying to do this, private message me.

The really cool thing about this whole procedure is that now I can create a setup on the PC3 for a particular song and by just selecting that setup on the PC3, I can have my sounds (internal or external to both boards) ready to go for both keyboards. Because I often used 2 keyboards on a song, this can be a real time saver when we're trying to move quickly to the next song

• Like 1

When I'm using the keyboards together, I'm using setups on the PC3 to control everything that's played on either keyboard, which includes sounds internal to each keyboard as well as through the laptop. So I guess the PC3 is being used as the master keyboard