Video Files on Forum ×

Changing midi out to midi tru

Gmul

Title says it all. Can't seem to find the thread where this was addressed before. Can anyone give me a quick tip? I understand from the thread I cannot find that the midi out cannot be used as an out once it's changed but I don't need it as an out just a thru. Have a complicated setlist maker setup that I need to use the casios midi thru to relay bank changes for the casio and my korg m50. Cheers fellow forumites.

In the options, there are 2 possible outputs:

USB Out

MIDI Out

You choose what is sent to either by changing the option in the [ ]

MIDI [MIDI IN] = midi thru - all data coming from MIDI IN is sent to MIDI OUT. 

MIDI [uSB] = midi thru from USB to MIDI OUT

USB [MIDI IN] = midi thru from MIDI IN to USB port

The Keyboard option sends what is played from the keyboard.

• Like 1

Thank you choppin. I will check this when I get to my gig tomorrow night. So to be clear I need to change that midi field to midi in and run my 5 pin din from the io dock to the casios in and from the casios out ( which should now be a thru) to my m50. This should mean when I select the songs which I have the msb lsb programmed for both keyboards should change on both keyboards. I have verified individually that the correct values for each board work when connected directly to the io dock. Hopefully this daisy chain technique will work and allow me to forget about ever touching the stage settings button again. Cheers once more choppin. As we say in Ireland - where ever you travel I wish the road will rise to meet ya. ( translation from Gaelic language that looses much in translation but I assure you is a a term of well wishing)!

I wrote the above quickly while not at my keyboard.  To be clear, the full path to the option is:

[sys Setting] > MIDI > MIDI Out Select [KEY, MIDI, USB]

[sys Setting] > MIDI > USB Out Select [KEY, MIDI]

KEY, MIDI, and USB as options are indicating which IN or local source to send to MIDI Out or USB Out.  In your case, you want to use MIDI Out Select [MIDI]

So to be clear I need to change that midi field to midi in and run my 5 pin din from the io dock to the casios in and from the casios out ( which should now be a thru) to my m50. This should mean when I select the songs which I have the msb lsb programmed for both keyboards should change on both keyboards.

Yes.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

It sounds like you are talking about a MIDI Merge which isn't possible directly from the PX-5s.  

MIDI Thru in a traditional sense only passes on incoming information to the THRU port.   The idea of the THRU port was to chain a series of different synths together and set each to it's own channel to play that portion of  the original signal.  MIDI out was designed to send information from the specific keyboard being played; not the incoming signal.

My guess is that because there is a USB port and a MIDI out port, a dedicated MIDI THRU wasn't considered necessary.  Either way, you would need a method to merge the MIDI out and the USB out if one of those was set to transmit the incoming MIDI data.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1