Video Files on Forum ×

Is it possible to get close to this sound in live performance?

Iceman

Hello!  :)

I wasn't sure where to post my question, but since it is related to Casio PX-5S and playing it live, I thought that this would be the right place. Feel free to move the topic to the other parts of the forum, if you find it necessary. 

Coming from the progressive metal / progressive rock background, I always had a soft spot for the lyrical piano parts and the slow numbers with piano and the emotional pads, the string sections. I have one particular example of music (see the file in the attachment) that always made me wonder if it is possible to perform something like that live. Meeting PX-5S and learning more and more about it, I think that it should be possible to perform music like in the file that I have attached. Maybe it would even be possible to come up very close in terms of sound palette, using the Hex layers?  :wub: Really love the sound in this one... From the different demos online of what PX-5S can do, I believe this is the right instrument for the live performer. 

Any comments from the actual owners are very very welcome! 

-- Iceman (Denis)

P.S. For those interested, the song is performed by Norwegian progressive metal band called Green Carnation.

11 - Childs Play (Part 2).mp3

• Like 1

I had a little time to day and spent about 30 minutes putting together a stage setting and learning the basics of the song you uploaded so I could do a rough reproduction on the Px-5s.  The point being that it's not only possible to create the sound you want, it really wouldn't take a lot of time.

The stage setting I created is pretty simple.  Piano on zone 1, strings on zone 2, high strings on zone 3, and a choir on zone 4.  All have varying volumes.  If you wanted to spice it up, you'd add reactions to keyboard range and velocity  and maybe add volume control to the sliders.  Mine is bare bones but it's a pretty good reproduction.

I tried to post the stage setting but it said I wasn't permitted to upload that kind of file.  I think the music file uploaded.  I spent very little time learning the piece so it's not be super accurate but will show what can easily be accomplished.  Listening to this attachment, it sounds like the strings could be a little louder.

[EDIT] I was able to add the stage setting contained in a zip file.  Again - it's very basic just to show that it's easy to make.  The things to do is play with the volumes and maybe assign different functions to the knobs and levers.

childsplay_px5s_1.mp3

CHILDS_P.zip

• Like 3

Fantastic instrument in the hands of amazing and truly talented musician! Thank you so much!!!  :wub: You left me speechless! Awesome!  :) Any band would be proud to have a musician like you in a team! Thank you so much for taking time to record and learn this musical piece and to create the stage setting! It means a lot to me!

It is exactly what I am looking for in an instrument - to create music like that and to be able to play it with a single instrument and change / edit things on the fly. I hope to become a happy owner of PX-5S tomorrow and can't wait for the moment! Thank you so much again for taking the time, amazing ear for music, great playing and the files! You are the best!  :)

Thank you for your kind words (makes me want to do a better job!).  When you get your Px-5s, I think you'll be quite happy with what it can do.  I rarely have the time or opportunity these days to sit down with it and just spin dials and move sliders and really dig into the sounds; that's what I think is the most fun (and playing the keyboard of course) and I would recommend that you do that with reckless abandon!

The concept of the Stage Setting can be a little tough to get your brain around at first, but with patience, practice, and these forums, you'll get it.  Don't be afraid to try and to change anything and everything.  If you screw up, every stage setting is available for download and if you really get into trouble, you can just initialize the keyboard to factory settings.

I think I'll go try and find the full version of child's play 2 and give it a listen.

• Like 1