Video Files on Forum ×

Hot top octave for pianos / EPs

jls

Some of the piano and electric piano patches seem to have unusually loud notes in the highest 12 to 14 keys. It's not always the same notes but it is often the B and C in the 2nd to highest octave. Sometimes it's the whole upper octave. 

Anyway, what i'm wondering is if there is any way to adjust this with the editor? Is there any kind of velocity curve setting or individual note volume attenuation control? I'd be happy to take the time to adjust each key per patch but i don't know if this is even possible.

thanks for your expertise!

josh

Some of the piano and electric piano patches seem to have unusually loud notes in the highest 12 to 14 keys. It's not always the same notes but it is often the B and C in the 2nd to highest octave. Sometimes it's the whole upper octave. 

Anyway, what i'm wondering is if there is any way to adjust this with the editor? Is there any kind of velocity curve setting or individual note volume attenuation control? I'd be happy to take the time to adjust each key per patch but i don't know if this is even possible.

thanks for your expertise!

josh

Hi Josh and welcome to the Casio Forums. Sure, if you make a hexlayer or zone for the top octave you can adjust the volume for that range of keys. 

On most Stage Settings the four knobs are set to EQ - Low, Low mids, High mids, and High. First, make sure all these are set to zero. Second, what is your amplification? Some systems might emphasize the frequencies you're talking about. Third, see if turning down the Highs or the High mids fixes it for you.

thanks for your help. i have played with EQ and amplification and while it does help it doesn't exactly address the specific notes that seem to have more volume (or velocity, perhaps).

i did start to play with hex layers but found i am limited to just two (hex layers seem to be only available in the first two zones?) is this correct? if so, i would only be able to choose one other range of notes and adjust the volume of those as a group (as opposed to several specific ranges or note adjustments).

Ah this is a classic challenge that comes in sound programming especially on tones like EP that are a bit dense across the entire range of the keyboard.

A few things to investigate:

1. On the zone/layer that's giving you an issue, be sure to check filter frequency and resonance. If there's a somewhat high resonance and the filter cutoff freq occurs right around where those notes are, you might run into a "resonant hump" that will intensify the perceived volume in this range. There's a good chance that some variety of this issue is the culprit for what's happneing here. Try dialing filter resonance down and filter frequency up. Another good trick is to add key-tracking, so the filter freq goes up the higher you play on the keyboard.

2. Try headphones and other speakers. If you're using an amp, try studio monitors (if you have some) and vice versa. All speakers have freq ranges where they are extra succeptable - they have their own resonant hump, and if it lines up with the resonant hump of a sound being fed into it the speaker will become a bit cranky. If the hump is equally present on all listening devices - speakers, amps, headphones, etc, then you know that the hump is coming 100% from the keyboard and you can adjust accordningly. If some of the hump is coming from one particular set of of speakers, you might want to keep this in mind and not dial things back on the keyboard *too far* or it might adversely affect the sound when playing back on *different* speakers.

Suggestion for feature request: add a "roll-off" as a control source. (Sliders, LFOs, Envelopes, etc are all control sources that can affect things like volume and filters). The Kurzweil boards have Roll-off that can be assigned, a pre-programmed curve that starts at the 14th key from the top going up. This is very helpful -I often assign it on EPs program layers to take down volume or filter resonance by a few dB. This would be a very handy feature to borrow from the Kurz architecture, not unlike the split-shift feature which I believe was inspried by Kurz's "timbre-shift".

• Like 2