Video Files on Forum ×

HOW TO REVERSE A PIANO-BASS SPLIT SO THAT THE HANDS ARE REVERSED?

Skyscrapersax

OK, I'm trying to learn to play walking bass lines in the left hand and improvise eighth and sixteenth notes improvs in the right hand...

It's coming along fine, and it occurred to me that my right hand is much more advanced than my left.

One useful exercise is to reverse the hands - play walikng bass lines in the right hand (1/4 notes), and improv 1/8 and 1/16, etc., lines in the left hand.

So....

How can I set up my PX5s so that the left side of the keyboard is piano (electric or whatever) and the right side is bass?

I think the split point should be higher than it is for normal playing.

Thanks!

Just to get this out of the way: there's no split function.  You can't hit a button and create a split.  You have to program two or more tones/zones to have a playable range on the keyboard.  And if you are playing the Bass on the upper register of the keyboard you have to transpose it a couple of octaves down; and the piano a couple of octaves up.

Start by selecting stage setting 6-0 for example.

[Edit] > Stage Setting > Zone Edit > Mixer Edit > Adjust key range low and key range high.  There sound be a little Z1 in the upper right of the window.  This indicates Zone 1 and that will be the piano.

Once you've set the range for the piano, press the [Exit] button to drop down to where you can choose MIDI Edit > Octave Shift and adjust to your liking.

To the left of the display are + and - buttons for zones.  Press the + button and the Z1 should change to a Z2 on the screen.  This is zone 2 and the bass.  Perform the same operation as above but specific to the key range and octave for the bass.

Once you are finished you can write the stge setting to memory if you like.