Sign in to follow this  
AlenK

The XW-P1 Companion, Volume 1 - Rev 4

Here is the latest update to The XW-P1 Companion, Volume 1. I have added 34 pages of new content, most of it in Section 6 - Voice Programming Techniques, which has been almost entirely re-organized as well as expanded. I already "leaked" a few of the new techniques to the forum a couple of weeks ago. A lot more of them are described in the new document.

For those who prefer to get their content on the forum directly (i.e., "documents" ain't your thing) I will be starting several new topics here in the coming weeks to highlight specific selected techniques from the document. Each of those will point to an example uploaded to the files section of the forum. I also intend to release a zip file containing all of the example files when I have completed them.

I hope you enjoy this latest update. Now that it is complete I can get back to working on Volume 2, which will discuss emulations of specific instruments and famous synth sounds. It's about half done.

XW-P1 Companion - Vol 1 - Rev4.pdf

PS. If you have read previous versions there is no need to read sections 1 to 4 again; there is nothing really new there. All the updated sections and new sections are listed on page 5 and clicking on any one of the section numbers will take you there directly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1000 thanks.

I fully  printed the rev 3. Is there some log to tell which pages were changed/added so I don't have to reprint the whole thing (and hence save lot of trees).

Thanks again, as synth guides go, this is one of the best organized and most readable. 

Thanks for the kind words. 

Personally, I rarely print out anything nowadays. I use an iPad to read pdf's. 

Normally me too, but I bought a spiral binding machine while ago and the deal came with boxes of pre-perforated paper....have to use them somehow. 

But later I realized how printing things that I plan to use often free myself from the limitations imposed on by expensive tech. I can toss the copy around freely, leave it opened on my bed for days, stack it on synth or under mess on my desk and generally don't have to worry where it is, what is on top of it, where it falls etc...

Thanks. You know, if Casio would have me sign an NDA then loan me a pre-production keyboard while it's still in development I could potentially release a document like that when the keyboard itself is released or worst case not long after. Wouldn't that be nice? :banana:

• Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 10:30 PM, AlenK said:

Thanks. You know, if Casio would have me sign an NDA then loan me a pre-production keyboard while it's still in development I could potentially release a document like that when the keyboard itself is released or worst case not long after. Wouldn't that be nice? :banana:

If only Casio had asked you to do that on the XW's release, and shipped them with a much more clear and comprehensive owners manual. It would have made it so much easier to understand and use this wonderful machine, rather than the very basic and none too clear original manual that came with it.  

Thanks AlenK, that has really helped me understand the capabilities of the Hex Layer function.  However, I have not yet ventured into that territory... can you refer me to the most basis of basic tutorials on selecting and applying waves to build a sound.  Was a bit confused in the manual...

Thanks again for your knowledge and help!

Fortunately, there is a tutorial created quite recently that explains how to use Hex Layers. It's the latest in a series. Apparently, the next one up concerns the solo synth. Check out the previous ones in the series; they're quite good.

I also highly recommend Mike Martin's live clinics. I found them quite helpful, especially when the machine was new to me. Note that the one on the XW-G1 discusses many things that apply to the XW-P1 as well. I've created a thread specifically about them:

• Like 1

On 8/6/2017 at 7:39 PM, RickM said:

Thanks AlenK, that has really helped me understand the capabilities of the Hex Layer function.  However, I have not yet ventured into that territory... can you refer me to the most basis of basic tutorials on selecting and applying waves to build a sound.  Was a bit confused in the manual...

Thanks again for your knowledge and help!

Yep... that's just what I was looking for!  Thanks!  Now my brain really hurts....

Downloaded this masterpiece.

Many thanks for your incredible work!

Frank