Video Files on Forum ×

Need help with external sound source lack of slider volume control

Lune

Hello- I have a P1 and, in solo synth mode, I cannot get slider 5 to control external input volume. The volume always stays loud and I cannot decrease it with the slider. I have tried inputing the external source thru mic, audio and instrument jacks. I have gone into edit mode and checked out amp volume and other parameters (maybe not the right ones). I have tried things in performance and tone modes. Is there something I am missing? A global control of some sort? Does slider 5 control external volume in solo synth or did I get the wrong impression? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lune

You do not say what mode you have the XW-P1 in. Slider #5 only controls the volume of the external source when it is in the Solo Synth mode. If it is in the Hex Layer mode, slider #5 controls the volume of Layer 5, and in Drawbar mode, it controls the volume of the 2 2/3' drawbar.

I have tried every mode there is- just to be thorough- including solo synth mode. The slider works as it should in other modes and in solo synth, when you move the slider, you see the ext source midi numbers increasing and decreasing- but there is no change in actual volume. Any ideas are appreciated- thanks

Sorry, Lune !

I have not had my P1 readily available here to try what you are talking about, but I moved it back into the studio this evening and racked it up. I see what you are talking about. I first tried a mic and then one of my guitars (not both at the same time). The only time I could hear anything from the mic is when I thumped it with my finger, but if I blew or shouted into it - nothing, nada, even with the P1's master volume set to max. I got a little more out of the guitar, but with the P1's master volume, my power amp's volume, and my guitar pickup levels all set to top, it was not loud enough for even a decent practice session. In either case, with the mic or the guitar, Slider #5 had absolutely no effect on the level. I even went into the Mixer settings on Page 67 of the manual and set the Slider #5 level in there, but still no help. Besides, I think that is for using the P1 as a 16 part multi-timbrel sound source, not for a live performance.

I can not help but think that you and I are missing something. If this is a common problem, why are more users not complaining about it ? Either that, or Casio has provided the P1 with a feature that not very many users have a use for. This is not a show stopper for me. I am strictly an instrumentalist, not a vocalist, have no interest in a vocoder, and have several top-of-the-line guitar effects processors that cost as much or more than the P1 itself, but anyone who has use for this feature may find themselves thoroughly disappointed.

Maybe someone else here on the forum can shed some light on this for us.

Please reread my previous post. I have already done that:

I even went into the Mixer settings on Page 67 of the manual and set the Slider #5 level in there, but still no help. Besides, I think that is for using the P1 as a 16 part multi-timbrel sound source, not for a live performance.

I'll keep working on it and report if I find a breakthtough. Hopefully MIke Martin or somebody from casio will stop by and look into this. I really like the idea of using slider 5 to belnd in some non-casio sounds into solo synth- think of the nature sounds that begin "close to the edge" by Yes, or industrial sounds to set the mood of a harsher lead. There has to be a way to make this work.

Besides the fact that Slider #5 does not control the level, I am concerned that no matter what I connected, the level was so far down as to be useless. It's almost like that jack needs a pre-amp ahead of it. I don't think that is right either. I wonder if, by chance, the OS update could have caused this, and Casio just hasn't picked up on it yet.

When I hit mixer and use the part pages downwards to get to the "ext" control (just after "all" and "master") I found a volume control which, (ta da) controls the volume of the ext input. The problem is that I cannot link this to slider 5 so it can be controlled w/o going into mixer.

http://support.casio.com/download.php?rgn=1&cid=008&pid=1160

spacer.gif

To check your firmware version

On your XW-P1 instrument, press the [POWER] button to turn on the instrument.

Press the "SETTING" button to display the setting screen.

If you can not find "INFO" under "MIDI" in the list, the firmware version of the instrument is less than 1.10. You need to download this update software and install it on the instrument.

If you can find "INFO" and press [ENTER] to display the version confirmation screen, the firmware version of the instrument is the number which is displayed.

Is the 5th oscillator turned ON? If not the XW will just pass the audio and the slider will do nothing.

Make sure that in whatever solo synth program you're on that the 5th oscillator is actually turned on. Once it is on, you'll only hear the audio source when a key is pressed. Then the slider will control it's volume.

Thanks Mike- I tried that and it worked. I guess its a little counterintuitive since you don't expect to have to go into menu to make a slider work when all the others work w/o doing this. Curious, why is the osc default "off"? Also, is there a way to make the default off? Does doing this cause problems with solo synth if an external source is not used? Does it affect how slider five works in other modes than solo synth? I copy this reply in the other forum for anyone else who is following this.

• 3 weeks later...