26 replies to this topic

#21 AlenK

AlenK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

Seems that this is the "synth origin stories" thread. So here's mine. My first encounter with synthesized music was when a grade-school teacher played "Popcorn" in class. This was in '69, '70 or '71 (can't pin it down more precisely). I don't know why it was played in class but it lead me to discover Walter (at the time) Carlos and Tomita, then a few years later Tangerine Dream, Jarre, Vangelis and Synergy (Larry Fast). Synergy in particular was a revelation since I was already leaning toward rock, having started from a mostly classical background. All during high school these artists shared my turntable along with Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Genesis, ELP, Queen, Kansas, Yes, Rush, Saga, FM (the last three are Canadian), etc. (and the classical stuff - hadn't abandoned that!). Not too long after I added Kraftwerk and THAT lead me to discover what ended up being called New Wave and "synthpop" in the early eighties just as I was graduating from university.

All through that time I lusted after the synthesizers I was hearing on those albums and reading about in Keyboard magazine. I spent an inordinate amount of time in libraries learning about music synthesis. I rented a Roland SH-5 for a month or so to play with. I built my own admittedly primitive synthesizer (with a step sequencer) and entered it into a science fair (only got an honorable mention). I bought my first synth in '89, a Roland D-10. By that time all the analog synths were history and the local music stores only carried digital models. Of the few multi-timbral synths they carried the D-10 (and more expensive D-20) had the most analog-like synthesis, which was the main reason I chose it (the D-50 sounded better, of course, but it was at best only bi-timbral). Today we recognize that those D-series synths had an early form of virtual-analog synthesis.

I never saw a need to buy another hardware synth (I'm clearly no gearslut) until the XW-P1 came along. What it offered was just too good and the price too low to pass up.  I figured if I didn't like it I could sell it quick again and not be out much.  What can I say?  It's staying. :)

No matter where you go, there you are.

#22 Mikexception

Mikexception

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Small update to my post:

Thanks to friends in this forum I found photo of my first keyboard in 1986 - it was in fact MT 52 purchased in second hand in Gulf Port LA. . Isn't pretty :P ???

Attached File  Casio MT-52.jpg   55.31KB   0 downloads

Next were MT 210 and MT 540

• SmoovJazzy55 likes this

#23 BradMZ

BradMZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

Gulfport, Mississippi?

#24 SmoovJazzy55

SmoovJazzy55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Not really a synth, but I saw The Dave Clark Five on The Ed Sullivan Show, (I'm showing my age here) and one of the guys was playing a "portable" keyboard, Portable for that day. Anyway, that wet my appetite. Then my brother had a reel to reel copy of The Electic Electric of Bill Hyman and I was hooked. Fast forward to the 80s and I went to a Christian Concert of Leon Patillo, who was a studio musician keyboard player for Carlos Santana, and I was blown away with what one guy could do with synths, sequencers, samplers and such. From that point on I spent too much money on various synths, Casio, Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Ensoinq, and many more, some of which I wish I kept. I switched to drums the first time I heard that tom tom sound of the Simmons electric drums. My main instrument is a set of Roland V-Drums which I still play regularly, (as I'm not much of a keyboard player) but I still love to create sounds on my synths and other music gear. And I really enjoy introducing this kind of stuff into our church since I'm in full time ministry.

#25 Mikexception

Mikexception

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

Gulfport, Mississippi?

Yes, In 86 I was a crew member on poilsh merchant ship loading there and had just one afternoon to look for. That's how things happen :rolleyes:

• BradMZ likes this

#26 BradMZ

BradMZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

Cool.   

#27 briandc

briandc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

anyone know the direct link to the water sound OP was talking about?

Sorry for not getting back sooner..  here's a newer water sound, even better than the one made back in the 80's but probably can be done on the CZ nonetheless:

http://www.amsynth.c...92-Dripping.ogg

and this:

http://www.amsynth.c...-74-Thirsty.ogg

brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users