Video Files on Forum ×

Tutorial: how to install PX-5s downloaded files

Bossbandbob

Thanks again for your reply can i update the firmware via the data editor? can the update be somehow transferred from the USB drive onto the data editor and then onto PX-5S via the rear USB port? Tried to put the new sounds in today and again display just said mounting media, can i put the sounds onto the data editor then onto PX-5S that way? It might be better if i just go out and buy another new USB drive and try that.

I'm like 90% sure that you can't update via the data editor.

As far as Mounting Media, that tells me that when you're loading in new sounds, you're not doing that part correctly. The little icon next to the media button indicates you need to hold that button for a sec to activate that function. You should not see Mounting Media when you hold the button and get into the ability to load and save Stage Settings and Tones.

Specifically regarding the firmware update - for what it's worth, my experience is to have a blank USB drive formatted to FAT32 on a computer using the deep (full, not quick) format.  Every drive I've formatted directly on the PX-5s has eventually failed with file errors of one type or another.  Could be me, but my computer formatted drives haven't failed.

Make sure only the update.bin file is on it - there should be no MUSICDAT folder for the firmware update.  Make sure the USB drive is NOT in the PX-5s.  Turn on the PX, let it boot up, then insert the USB drive.  Follow the update procedures from that point on.

When the process is finished, the PX-5s automatically adds a MUSICDAT folder on the USB drive.  At this point, I turn of the PX-5s, remove the USB drive, plug the drive into the computer, delete the update.bin from the USB drive, and copy any Tone or ALL files I want to add to the MUSICDAT folder.  I eject the drive from the computer, turn on the Px-5s, let it boot, initialize ALL, then plug in the USB drive and copy over anything I want to restore or replace.

Hi to every one who,s replied, i am sorry iv'e taken so long to reply, many thanks to you all i will try and format my USB drive on my computer as told by member Choppin, i'm using an apple MacBook Air shouldn't be any problems with that should there? The PX-5s is fine and i'm very happy with it, it's this damn firmware update is now getting on my nerves. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Gary.

• 4 weeks later...

Just use the PC editor - you can load in  a couple of seconds and it's simply drag and drop :D

The PC editor is very smooth for file transfer, note - put your downloaded files into the specified Data file Folder Path (PC Editor Preference page) and the just drag the desired files in the PC Editor Transfer Page!

• 1 month later...

SUBJECT:  DOWNLOADING INDIVIDUAL FACTORY STAGE SETTINGS

My situation is such that I cannot physically connect my PX-5S to my computer (an iMac, which is in a remote office) and thus to the online data editor.  I've been using my thumb drive to download Forum sounds but until now never thought I'd need a factory SS.

I inadvertently deleted my beloved Deckards Lead (3-3).  How can I get it back?

• 3 weeks later...

No, but the factory stage settings themselves are available for download, so you can always put them back if you want.

Hey Joe, I just received my PX5S (actually a few days ago, but the Forum was "down..."

I want to try to download something, but I don't want to erase everything that is on the unit.

So, to be clear, if I download, say, the 6drawbar organ, that erases the entire slew of pianos, electric pianos, stage settings, etc. that the unit comes with?  Or just the organ?

Where are the "original" sounds for download, to revert to the original state?

Thanks,

- Jeff

PS:  Where is the "Herbie's Rhodes" that Mike Martin talks about in one of his videos?

Have you watched this video? Maybe it will help.

I just received my PX5S...

Should I back up/save the currently installed stuff on my PX5S, or does the firmware update just "better" what's already there?

I haven't done any editing at all yet.

Thanks....

No, but the factory stage settings themselves are available for download, so you can always put them back if you want.

Joe, here's where I'm totally confused!

I "get it" if I want to install the new "all" file of stage settings - that will overwrite everything else.

I'd like to do that, but keep about 10 of the original stage settings - how to do this?  Can I replace ones I don't want with ones I do?

ALTERNATIVELY ---

Let's say I want to install "Herbie's Rhodes..."

I have the editor, but it's all zones and stage settings - not individual tones.

How would I install HR and not overwrite any of the existing Rhodes?  Are there not empty banks for this?

Thanks,

- Jeff

Thank you, Joe...

OK, so to review, it sounds like I should (if I want to keep some of the existing stage settings):

1.  NOT install the new "ALL" file (I note that this will mean that I don't get the benefit of the "alternate order" feature, whatever that is);

2.  Load each sound I want to into into the PX5S individually;

3.  After selecting an existing tone to "sacrifice."

CORRECT?

QUESTION:

1.  Is there any way to save the existing tones individually?

Thank you for your assistance!

(as you may have guessed, I've never done anything like this before, and I don't want to screw anything up!)

Actually, there are two new ALL files, one with an order similar to what the PX-5S came with but with many improved Stage Settings, and the alternate order version that you mention. It just depends how you like your banks set up. Both have the exact same Stage Settings, just in different orders.

I see Brad helped you with how to get the old Stage Settings you want to keep off when you install the new ALL file. I suspect, however, that you'll forget all about those when you hear the new ones, or that some of them are the same or similar in the new ALL file.

• Like 1

Where is the other new ALL file?

I don't know enough about bank set-up to know which is preferable...

Which is the easiest for newbies?

Do you think I should load in one of the new ALL files, or load the boldfaced individual files? (apparently, the boldfaced ones are the "new" ones).

I guess it's probably easier to just load one of the new ALL files, check it out, and I can reload the old one if I want to have any of those files back... THEN load new ones individually, after I've auditioned them....

Thanks...

The two new ALL files are in the same place. If you follow the links to download, you end up at a page with three files to download. The traditional order ALL file, the alternate order ALL file, and a PDF that lists where everything is located. Download all three and put the two ALL files on your flash drive as instructed in the thread.

You may prefer the alternate order ALL file, as you can then sit in one bank and go through all the acoustic pianos, then switch banks to go through the tine pianos, then the reed pianos, etc.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/6324-px-5s-updated-all-file/

• Like 1

Hi Joe -

Cool,  I'm playing saxophone outside (busking) all weekend (threat of rain, so no PX5S...).  I'll get to this Monday.

I take it that after these are loaded in, they'll show up in the  Editor?

Is it possible to come up easily retrievable "favorites" (e.g., Tine + Fretless Bass, 9 Drawbar Organ + Acoustic Bass + A Couple of Percussion)?

Parenthetically, the PX5S worked great for busking last weekend (on my homemade PVC stand), until, at least, the cops came....

They don't like amplifiers these days.  I asked them if they'd buy me a Steinway and wheel it out to Main Street, but they declined... 

I got away with it the next night, in a different location, but they need to be "mellowed out" on this.  I'm meeting with the ACLU on Thursday.  If they won't sue the city, I'll do it myself.

Where do you live? I understand that busking is illegal in Houston, though I've seen a couple of people doing it recently in very public places. That said, Houston is so spread out that there aren't many places busking would be worthwhile, as there isn't much foot traffic.

Yeah, once you load the new ALL file, when you connect the editor, you'll see the new Stage Settings in it. I think you can use the Editor to reorganize your Stage Settings. It's been a while since I've used it though.

I'm in suburban Detroit, Michigan.  Busking is protected by the First Amendment as protected free speech artistic activity.  Artistic speech is second only to political speech in terms of protection.  Using an amp complicates things and gives the police a cheap excuse to crack down.  "Blocking the sidewalk" is another of their favorite ruses.

They can't stop it.  They always lose if it goes to Court.  So, go ahead and try it!

Houston must be like LA (where I was last year).  Anyplace that there are people will do. Farmer's markets, etc.  Outside of bars is best!

A stand is a challenge.  My PVC one works pretty well so far, and only three or four pounds. 

Unfortunately the people most likely to busk are least likely able to afford lawyers and court. And the farmer's markets around here usually hire bands to play (which is probably better than the tips they make. But maybe I'm wrong and they just arrange for the bands to play and the collect tips and sells CDs. I don't know).

It's easier if you play a portable acoustic instrument.

The ACLU is free.  Detroit's Farmer's Market has a $5 busker license and is well run by the head of the Market.  No "busker wars."

I make more busking than playing bar gigs, and I can play whatever I want.

As to portability, saxophone is excellent.  This weekend, I busked the BIrmingham (tony suburb) Art Fair.  Artists are selling $4000 paintings there, etc.  Due to rain issues, I only brought my saxophone and amp (no piano).  I did get rained on once, but I quickly put my equipment in the case - no damage.

I've brought the PX5S out twice.  Even at 24 pounds, since I'm also carrying my tenor, it's a bit of a challenge - and I'm 6'6 and in good shape.  However, one guy brings vibes, a heavy Roland BA amp (on a speaker stand) - not exactly portable or light!

I also have a Melodica - the ultimate portable busking axe!

Try it.....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...