Pooched XW-P1

Jokeyman123
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

This update fixed a major bug for me (sloppy sync with external MIDI) that was really impeding my use of the XW.

I'm kind of glad I updated as soon as I could, because I'd torn if I'd waited and seen all these reports of bricked synths.

BTW, I have the G1- are all the problems that people have reported here and on FB only with the P1?

Thanks Sadko, that's it. Nothing user replaceable here. Maybe Casio will come up with a better solution if they see more than one customer having this problem. This is such an advanced and versatile instrument. Can't believe it can be completely disabled and "unrecoverable" by the user. If you find anything useful, please post.

Hello:

I have a question to make:

Do you have followed step by step, the instructions on the website about the installation?

The support center CASIO Spain answered me (in Spanish, of course): B)

"Very important when installing the update is the disconnect the USB cable and follow the instructions on the website on how to install (in English).

Operating System

spacer.gif •For Windows
Windows®XP Home Edition/XP Professional(32-bit),(SP2 or later)
Windows Vista®(32-bit)
Windows ®7(32-bit/64-bit)
Windows ®8(32-bit/64-bit)

•For Mac (Intel Mac Only)
Mac OS® X(10.5.X,10.6.X, 10.7.X, 10.8.X) 
            spacer.gif

Downloading the Update Software

Click the download file name for your instrument model and computer operating system.     spacer.gif

To install the update software on your instrument

• Note that installation of the update software cannot be undone. Once you install the update software, there is no way to restore you instrument to its original firmware version.
• Installation of this update software will not delete the data you made. But just to be safe, you should copy the data on the SD card.

1. Extract the folder you downloaded.
Windows Users:
Check to make sure "XW-P1-Updater.exe" are present in the folder.
Macintosh Users:
Check to make sure "XW-P1 Updater.app" are present.

2. Remove the USB cable from the instrument, and turn off your instrument.

3. Press the "POWER" button pressing with both the "EDIT" and the "WRITE" button to enter the updating mode. 

4. Both "UPDATE MODE"  and all level indicator are displayed. (fig.1) Insert USB cable to the instrument and your computer. 
Connect the instrument to its USB cable and establish a USB connection with your computer.You can find "CASIO XW-P1" is displayed on your computer.

update_mode_indicator.jpg
                                                                        fig.1

5. Double-click the update program you downloaded.
Update program will be started automatically. (Approximately 6 minutes after update program will be finished.)
Don't turn off the instrument or remove the USB cable from the instrument, when the firmware is under updating.
Windows Users:
The Application accesses the mounted drives. And when the application starts, Command Prompt will be appeared.
Macintosh Users:
During this update process, the following error message has no problem, "The disk was not ejected properly."
If you find this message, please select "OK" button, the update will proceed.

6. When the firmware is finished to update, update program will quit automatically.
And the instrument will restart automatically.

7. Confirm the version on your instrument. 
Press the "SETTING" button on your instrument to enter setting mode.
When you select "INFO", Press the "ENTER" button and check "Version: 1.11" is displayed.
Delete the update program when you have finished to confirm.

Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Rubén Mateo Fuentes 
Spanish Support 
European Support Center 
Casio Europe GmbH 
Casio-Platz 1 
D-22848 Norderstedt 
Germany

TEL: +49 40 528 65 817 
Fax: +49 40 528 65 888
www.casio-europe.com

PS: Subscribe to newsletter 'CASIO Newsletter' and is always well informed about the products CASIO: http://www.casio-europe.com/es/newsletter/.

Discover Casio online store. Visit the next link: http://es.casio-shop.eu/
."

:huh::blink::mellow:

Edited by DAVID

I was doing all steps according to this manual. And had all mentioned till step 7. PC program quit, Keyboard rebooted and... clear screen.

Our Ukrainian Casio service told me nice facts: I'm not alone with XW-P1 and "bricked after updating" (they have 3 or more visitors with the same issue). And the only thing they can offer is to replace MainBoard (costs more than half of Keyboard price).

Now I'm looking for a new MainBoard in USA or other Casio services :(

Hi forum, If someone's xw get's screwed up from this firmware update, and that xw is on warranty, casio should pay entire expense to get it up and running. If casio does not pay entire expense,  then  they will lose alot of customer's, and in the synth arena, no one  will ever trust casio, again.  I love my xw-p1, will never part with it, but if this is the way casio does business, I will never buy another casio anything again. Im not saying I feel this way now, but if I hear of people with xw's on warranty got charged one red cent to fix firmware, then im done.      CASIO, here's some advice. Fix all warranty firmware's(up to this point) at your expense, then put up a warning on the firmware update page, explaining the danger's of the update, a disclaimer of sort's. At least this way if someone get's a  screwed update , it will be the consumer's fault and not casio's.

Hi zymos, I to would like to see any evidence of charging to repair xw's under warranty. if there is anyone out there who had charge's under warranty, please post it on this forum. I realize I could be jumping the gun on this , if so, I will eat  crow.  Personally, I hope I never hear of a case where casio did not fix firmware under warranty.

Yes it finally happened, im responding to my own post. I know I ranted a little, I just want everyone to be able to enjoy their xw's, be it under warranty or not. Perhaps casio could offer a big discount to fix xw firmware's  that are not under warranty. There probably isn't more than a handful of xw's with this problem. The  small amount of money casio would lose doing this would be virtually nothing, and it would go a long way in the way people look at casio. In the long run it would actually help casio secure consumer loyalty. 

Truth be told, this is reminiscent of the bad old days of computers when a bad motherboard flash would leave people high and dry without any repair options other than buying a third party ROM chip or else shipping it back to the manufacturer with NO warranty support.

Nowadays nobody designs a motherboard without safeguards to make certain that a properly checksummed BIOS is loaded before erasing the backup image that's stored on the chip.

Like I said, My Kurzweil uses a separate built in bootloader which will allow you to reflash a bad flash without having to ship it back for service.

Then again, synthesizer technology is typically 10 - 15 years behind computers when it comes to state of the art hardware and software.  This is partly the reason why 64 MB of sample memory is considered "generous" in synths.

I've been researching the Waldorf Blofeld Desktop module lately and after this issue broke in here I checked out their policies about bad flashes.

Same crap about using the computer to flash and ship back to distributor under warranty or to a service center to pay from your own pocket for out of warranty repair if you brick it.

Realistically you can't expect every manufacturer to repair every bad flash entirely out of their own pocket.  The shipping alone would kill them.  Then again, Casio was generous enough to extend the warranty on North American units to 3 years if you registered your unit on their website when you bought it.  That's already triple the industry standard for most keyboard warranties.

What I hope they learn from this is to provide a detailed disclaimer and warning along with the firmware images in the future and that all of their future hardware gets designed with an "idiot proof" flash procedure.

Likewise, for those people who got stiffed on the warranty, I hope they provide a reflashing service or utility at a discount rate.

I guess I should not expect a big company to have good ethic's. Seem's pretty much none of them do.  Let's say at the most there were 100 bad firmware xw's,  heck even a thousand, (on warranty)  it would be not even be a drop in the bucket moneywise, for casio to pay to fix them, it would be like me donating a dollar to charity, not gonna make or break me. when you consider a company like casio has more money than god. I am a little unclear about casio's policy, if casio is paying the bill for botched firmware under warranty, and under the circumstance's that the xw's were botched,( basically their bad,) then  they are cool, but if they are not paying to fix xw firmware under warranty,under those circumstance's,  then that isn't cool.  But  then again I guess nobody ever said corporation's  were cool or ethical.

Compared to other corporations Casio qualifies for sainthood status.  Not only do they extend the warranty for 2 years but they also cover bad flashes which almost no one else does as a rule.

To bring up Waldorf again, on their Blofeld Desktop synth it's a $125 SOFTWARE OPTION to BUY a License Key that unlocks the ability to load optional soundfonts into 60 Megs of "suddenly found" memory which is already built in!!!

To me that's just nasty and cheap and money grubbing.

Like I said, by comparison Casio's a Saint!

Gary

• Like 1

Hi happyrat1, that is very good new's. I hope I get what you are saying. Are you saying that if I have a xw under warranty, and I updated the firmware and it botched exactly the way some have, then I would get it fixed at casio's expense with no cost to me? If so,  then indeed, casio is an ethical, and cool company.

That's pretty much what i understand from what I've seen in Mike Martin's comments after some people pooched theirs going from 1.01 to 1.10.

As for EXACTLY no cost to you, I wouldn't say that.

The way an RMA usually works is you file your claim with the manufacturer, they issue you an RMA number and return address and you have to pack up the keyboard and ship it to the service center at your own expense.

Usually the manufacturer covers the cost of the repair and the return shipping only.

So depending on how far you live from the service depot and whether or not you can bring it in on your own steam you will at the very least be out of pocket for the shipping costs to Casio.

Considering you'd better hope that you hung onto the original shipping container and the cost of courier shipping for such a bulky item, you could still end up out of pocket for over $100 depending on where you live and how far away the service depot is.

But, as I said, in the past, Casio has covered bad firmware flashes under warranty service.

The complaints of those in this thread such as jokeyman are that they are in the EU and did not get the extended warranty or they are owners of second hand units purchased on Ebay without a warranty.

Sucks to be them and I am hoping that Casio does offer them a discount rate for a bad flash in the worst case scenario.

Gary

Hi happyrat1, thank's for clearing that up. I did not know how casio handled these type of thing's under warranty. If  I  pay only to ship an xw to casio, under warranty for firmware fix, that is fair. offering a discount for bad update to non warranty xw owner's would be a nice thing for casio to do.    All and all, it  apear's,  for a big coporation, casio is cool and ethical 

On the other hand, I've updated my Blofeld myself 4 times I think, and am on the mailing list and don't recall anyone ever bricking the thing. Korg M3 same deal. Every other piece of gear, same.

The policies of fixing it are less interesting than whether or not they can write an updater that is safe of not. At least one person on this thread or at FB didn't even have antivirus on, and the update still bricked their XW. That's lame software, not lame corporate policies.