Video Files on Forum ×

Privia px5s to external sound module

austwalk89

Hello, 

Hope that all are having a great day. My questions involve how exactly to connect the privia px5s to an external sound module. 

1) How would i connect the privia px5s to an external sound module? 

2) How would I connect/ rig it to be able to control 4 channels of midi with the sliders or knobs?

3) Is there a way to trigger sounds from an external sound module and also use sounds from the casio privia 5s such as lets say i like the piano sound in the casio privia 5s on one song but on the next song i want to use my external sound module's fender rhodes sound?  

4) If there is a way for number 3 , would there be a way to control sounds from the privia px 5s and the external sound module with the sliders like through midi zones or something ? like one slider control the privia px5s piano and another slider control the external sound modules brass, etc?

I konw with all the technical questions you may say to just get a midi-controller and be done with it, but I really love privia px5s because i want something with sounds already in it for different situations and also just in case something would happen to my external sound module. I always try to be prepared for what ever situation. Im sorry for being too techincal though.. but defintily thank you for all the replies.. Much appreciated 

You can do that all with the PX-5S AFAIK. The PX-5S has MIDI In and Out, as well as MIDI over USB. If you wanted, you can set up the PX-5S to not make any sound and each of its four zones can be used to send over a different MIDI channel, or those same four zones can control internal sounds, or both. The sliders and knobs can each be set to a MIDI CC # depending on what you want to do. To do #3, you would just program different Stage Settings and change the Stage Setting with each song.

For instance, this is from the PX-5S FAQ.

How do I assign the knobs or sliders to control zone volume?

The sliders and knobs on the PX-5S are highly configurable. Each slider or knob can do two things at once. Each zone can determine if it uses that physical controller or not.

So for example if you wanted sliders 1-4 to be zone volume. I'd recommend setting it like this:

Slider 1: CC#07 Volume

Slider 2: CC#07 Volume

Slider 3: CC#07 Volume

Slider 4: CC#07 Volume

Then in the Controllers section for Each Zone, you can do this:

Zone 1: Slider 1 ON, Slider 2,3,4 OFF
Zone 2: Slider 2 ON, Slider 1,3,4 OFF
Zone 3: Slider 3 ON, Slider 1,2,4 OFF

Zone 4: Slider 4 ON, Slider 1,2,3 OFF (Mike Martin) 

To have a zone control an external sound only:

Is there a way have a zone drive another midi device without it having a sound tone from the Px5.

Edit>Stage Setting>Zone>Midi>Gen Out OFF. (Brad Saucier) 

• Like 1

What?  Buy a midi controller?  You have the best midi controller now.   :)

1) You're sound module should have traditional midi in.  Connect the PX-5s midi out to the module midi in.  You will need a 5 pin midi cable for that.  

2)  Press Edit>Stage setting>zone>midi>this section allows you to choose what external channel that zone is controlling over midi.  It also allows you to choose if the zone is sending to the PX sound generator, external midi, or external usb midi.  Any combination can be used.  

3, 4)  This is all done with stage setting editing.  With the midi settings I just mentioned, you will want to configure a stage setting with zones set up for what source of sounds you want and then save that stage setting for future use.  

You mention using sliders and knobs for control.  

Edit>Stage setting>common edit....will allow you to choose each controller to edit and what they do. 

Edit>stage setting>zone>controller.....will allow you to choose what sliders or knobs is enabled for that zone

Note:  The midi send channel for the controllers will be the same as the entire zone's midi send channel set in Edit>stage setting>zone>midi>external out channel

• Like 1