Video Files on Forum ×

Hi,

I recently bought a used PRIVIA PX 110 and decided it was a good idea to use bleach and a scrub to clean the keys (it wasn't a good idea). Anyway, the keys are all sparkly and white now but now MOST of the keys on the keyboard do not make a sound. Everything else is fine, such as the effects and tones.

I concluded that bleach went through the keys and on to the circuit board, so I took it apart and wiped down the circuit board with isopropyl alcohol. That didn't work either.

I was convinced that the problem was the circuit board for the keys but there was no evidence of corroded areas which leads me to think otherwise. Still, I was able to find a replacement part from a CDP 100 keyboard. Now, my question is, do you think that putting in a circuit board from the CDP 100 (working already) will fix the issue of my Privia px 110? I know that they use the same circuit board but due to the good PHYSICAL condition of my current circuit board, I'm starting to think that the problem lies deeper within bleach seeping to the circuit board and ultimately lies within the more inner workings of the keyboard.

The circuit board from the CDP 100 isn't bought yet, and I won't be able to return if I do buy it, which is why I'm hesitant. 

Oh my.  Well, first thing I would do is check the manual and see if there is a factory reset or initialize procedure, just to have a control point to start from.  I would also put the keyboard under a fan in a dry place for a few days, to rid any moisture.  As far as replacing PCB's, I have no idea if that would fix it.  

If you are going to replace the system board from a CDP 100 you will be getting the HL sound source and a different piano sample. The PX 110 uses the ZPI which has way better sound. The sound sound quality from the HL sound source is a downgrade. Unless you can swap out the sound chip you might want to rethink this. 

Bleach decomposes many kinds of rubber. Likely it killed the rubber contact strip under the keys, or made the carbon contacts of it non-conducting. Take out the rubber strips and (if they don't crumble apart now, else you need new ones) wash them thoroughly in water with dishwashing detergent, rinse in clear water and dry them with tissues. Carefully clean each of the black rubber contact dots with cotton swab and isopropanol and test with multimeter if they are still conductive (minimum something like 10 kOhm).

On the keys PCB are carbon traces and contacts those may have decomposed by bleach too. Take out the keys PCB and wash it too. Measure with multimeter if the carbon traces do conduct. If not, solder wired across them or use conductive silver paint to reconnect them. (I did this only with smaller keyboards like a PT-50 decomposed by battery acid, but general principles should be the same.)

• 6 years later...