Video Files on Forum ×

MZ-X500 Random Freeze?

Producer1

I've had my X500 freeze a couple times while recording. My diagnostics suggest there may be a memory leak that gradually eats up available system memory. Like you, I can resolve the issue with a power down/up sequence.  For practical reasons I now always cycle power before starting a record session. 

p.s I tend to have my X500 turned on all the time which would exacerbate the problem.

23 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

I've done a lot of MIDI recorder work over the past month or so.  I've used copy and paste, but it never froze.  Perhaps Rick is onto something as I never leave my MZ powered on for more than a couple of hours at at time.  

Makes me wonder if the issues our Brazilian friends are having might be related?   Memory leaks can cause random issues throughout the system due to loss of system ram.

Hi.

The same happened to me. I exited the main screen to reach arpeggio button and suddenly all freezed.

I had to unplug power supply to reset. I was modifying a registration with a new variation, but nothing that seemed heavy, at least to me.

It was a half an hour I was playing around with the mz x500.

It could be a memory leak, but only after  half an hour of use? I'm not an expert programmer, but could it be something like memory access violation? I'm just guessing.

If anyone knows: how much ram has the mz x500? What program language they used for the OS? Just for curiosity.

I have firmware 1.50.

Thank you.

Have a nice day

Sim

Edited by sim1969
I forgot an important particular

1 hour ago, sim1969 said:

Hi.

The same happened to me. I exited the main screen to reach arpeggio button and suddenly all freezed.

I had to unplug power supply to reset. I was modifying a registration with a new variation, but nothing that seemed heavy, at least to me.

It could be a memory leak, but only after  half an hour of use? I'm not an expert programmer, but could it be something like memory access violation? I'm just guessing.

If anyone knows: how much ram has the mz x500? What program language they used for the OS? Just for curiosity.

Have a nice day

Sim

I wouldn't think a memory leak would show up in an half hour under normal use either. 

I do not know what the internal architecture is on the x300/X500.

Hi Rick!

I ask this, purely because I'm inquisitive, and not for any other reason, but why do you leave your X500 on "all the time"?

I don't know whether anyone on the Forum remembers, Rick, but, back in the early days of the DAW coming to the fore in Home/Project studios ( around the late '90's? ), there was quite a healthy debate as to whether it was better for our computers to be left on permanently, or turned off at the end of each day! 

I can remember some seriously knowledgable people, on RIP ROWAN's, much-missed, "PROREC" site, ( incidentally, that site's Forum was the first I ever discovered that was specifically for the recording musician! ), suggesting that more potential damage could be caused by turning computers on and off each day than by simply leaving them on.

For all I know that debate may still be continuing, behind the scenes, to this day?!?

I don't claim to know the answer one way or the other, but, as the X500 is, to all intents and purposes,  a computer with keys, ( yes, I know that's an over-simplification! ), then, if there IS a definitive answer, then it might apply to our keyboards as well as our DAWs?

Take it easy all,

Chris

Fascinating topic Chris.

I am beginning to believe it's "...you say potato, I say....etc...etc.." - arguments have been that capacitors wear more quickly by being constantly powered up and down and then there are arguments against.

We have a brand new induction cook top and the engineer who installed it said "leave the power switch on as it will prolong the life of the unit"........

My Korg is in a permanent state of "standby" unless I pull the plug out of the wall - so does this mean Korg is subtly saying "...leave it on"?

Then my good friend who has an amazing recording studio with some of the most expensive gear I have seen, leaves all his power packs etc ON and then had his entire studio burn down due to a power pack!!!!

I give up!!

Pete :)

10 hours ago, Songwriter2015 said:

Hi Rick!

I ask this, purely because I'm inquisitive, and not for any other reason, but why do you leave your X500 on "all the time"?

I don't know whether anyone on the Forum remembers, Rick, but, back in the early days of the DAW coming to the fore in Home/Project studios ( around the late '90's? ), there was quite a healthy debate as to whether it was better for our computers to be left on permanently, or turned off at the end of each day! 

I can remember some seriously knowledgable people, on RIP ROWAN's, much-missed, "PROREC" site, ( incidentally, that site's Forum was the first I ever discovered that was specifically for the recording musician! ), suggesting that more potential damage could be caused by turning computers on and off each day than by simply leaving them on.

For all I know that debate may still be continuing, behind the scenes, to this day?!?

I don't claim to know the answer one way or the other, but, as the X500 is, to all intents and purposes,  a computer with keys, ( yes, I know that's an over-simplification! ), then, if there IS a definitive answer, then it might apply to our keyboards as well as our DAWs?

Take it easy all,

Chris

Not much of a debate among electrical engineers. ;-)  A high percentage of failures occur during the current inrush when equipment is turned on.  If you don't turn it off then you don't have to turn it on. ;-)

My main computer, an Alienware 17 laptop, is plugged into the X500 where the X500 acts as a "preamp". The line output of the X500 goes to a pair of studio monitors.

On 3/19/2018 at 11:41 AM, sim1969 said:

Hi.

I have firmware 1.50.

Thank you.

Have a nice day

Sim

"Memory leak" is one possible problem. There may be others. ;-)

7 hours ago, Muso7 said:

Fascinating topic Chris.

I am beginning to believe it's "...you say potato, I say....etc...etc.." - arguments have been that capacitors wear more quickly by being constantly powered up and down and then there are arguments against.

We have a brand new induction cook top and the engineer who installed it said "leave the power switch on as it will prolong the life of the unit"........

My Korg is in a permanent state of "standby" unless I pull the plug out of the wall - so does this mean Korg is subtly saying "...leave it on"?

Then my good friend who has an amazing recording studio with some of the most expensive gear I have seen, leaves all his power packs etc ON and then had his entire studio burn down due to a power pack!!!!

I give up!!

Pete :)

Older electrolytic capacitors could age and dry out, newer designs not as likely. 

Which Korg do you have?

Need more info re the power packs. Did your friend follow the mfg's operating instructions?

Hi Rick

You mention "newer designs" of capacitors - what dates (years) are we talking here

The current Korg PA4X and also I believe PA1000/700 have only a standby switch - not sure about the new Kronos 2.

Don't know about my friend following instructions - all I know is that he had half his house burned down due to a power pack in his studio - I'll ask him.

14 hours ago, Muso7 said:

Hi Rick

You mention "newer designs" of capacitors - what dates (years) are we talking here

The current Korg PA4X and also I believe PA1000/700 have only a standby switch - not sure about the new Kronos 2.

Don't know about my friend following instructions - all I know is that he had half his house burned down due to a power pack in his studio - I'll ask him.

Here's a good article on electrolytic capacitors. Note that the military does not use wet aluminum types.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor#Electrolytic_capacitors_family_tree