Video Files on Forum ×

Cleaning “Ivory” Keys. Possible mold?

Thor

I just bought a used PX 770 that is one year old and never played and I am delighted with it! The folks I bought it from had it stored in their basement. 

Once I got it to my apartment, I immediately noticed the smell of mold on the keys. The smell is NOT coming from the cabinet at all. Definitely the keys...( and hopefully not the inside “guts” where the digital stuff is.)

Everything seems to be working fine, but I am concerned that over time the mold will spread so I’d like to kill the mold ASAP.

Ive read that a mix of white vinegar and water would do the trick, but I want to make sure that I don’t do any damage to the simulated ivory and ebony keys.

Any suggestions?

Only a year old? My guess is the plastic picked up the musty smell from the basement and it just needs time to wear off. (Ever smell a keyboard from a smoker? BLECH!)
My suggestion would to be put it in a box or closet with a some baking soda or other odor / moisture absorbing material for a week.. or just run a fan on it for a few days. 

RE: Vinegar. I don't think it will hurt the keys, and if you try it I would do just one white and one black key and make sure it doesn't discolor.