Video Files on Forum ×

Sample Pads for Live question

Allanon

Hello all,

I'm trying to find my way to use the pads for live gigs, so it necessary to switch song setups in the fastest way possible, but I'm not sure if what I'm doing is the best way...

So here is what I've done so far :

• I've prepared some samples on the pc and saved them on a USB drive
  • I've loaded the samples into the MZ-X500 (Media -> Load -> Sampling)
    • First question : is it right that I have 16x3 (A, B, C banks) slots where I can load my custom samples? In my test song I've used 10 slots for 10 samples, 7 short and 3 long.
  • I've assigned the loaded samples to pads
  • I've saved the pad bank

Now I'm going to build a music preset to access with a registration key, so I will :

• Setup my favorite tones, rhythm, pad bank
  • Setup other things like fx and so on
  • Write my registration so I can switch all the stuff with a single button press

Now my dubt is, how can I override the 16x3 slots limit to setup many songs which uses many samples? Is there a way to quickly swap sample banks? I'm not sure if it possible, the manual is not clear enough or I may have missed something :)

I'd like to carry my MZ X500 on live gigs along with my MOX6

Sorry for my english :P

The limit is 16 pad samples live at any given time and max storage are those three banks.  It's not possible to go beyond that limit without overwriting the existing pad samples by loading more from the USB storage drive.  I can only offer a theory.  It may be possible to use the sample manager to load samples as ZTN tones, then have the pads trigger phrases that play individual notes, notes which contain your samples in that tone.  It's quite a workaround and complicated, but seems possible and would open up your sample storage well beyond those three banks.   

Hi @Brad Saucier and thank you for your answer,

I've read somewhere this theory from you in another thread but I wanted to be sure about the "standard" way.

I will try for sure your suggestion, so to have an ordered array of samples I have to build a special tone for each song/setup that needs samples and program the pads to shot phrases with that notes.

Then I've to put the tone in a registration along with all the other settings nad I'm ready to go.

Sounds good  :)

Just for the record I'm trying to put stuff togheter to play "Fade to grey" with all that nice french phrases :P

• Like 1

@Brad Saucier and all ppl interested, loading samples in tone's single notes works like a charm!

It took me a while to understand how the whole thing works but I've successfully created a tone with all the needed samples, then I've created a pad bank and on each pad I've recorded a phrase using the "special" tone loaded in upper 1.

Then I've saved the pad bank, finally I've setup all the other things (mixer, effects, rhythm, upper 2 tone, etc...) and I've saved all the stuff in a registration, it's amazing!

As Brad said, using this method you can easily exceed the sample lenght limits, also you can chain samples in the pad phrase as if they where a single big sample.

This method requires some work, but when you have finished the result is amazing.

When I have some free time I'll record a video showing the final result :)

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

It's really pretty simple as the big picture.  You use the MZX Sample Manager to create a sampled user tone.  Load that tone into the MZ.  Use that tone to record pad phrases.  The pads will then playing those phrases with that sampled tone.  You just need to plan ahead as far as which keys will have which samples so when you record your phrases, you know which key or keys to play.  Once phrases are recorded, the setup for all of the pads is stored as a user pad bank.  A pad bank can then be associated with upper lower tones and more by storing a registration.  The MZ is a remarkable keyboard and something I'd love to see Casio repackage as a workstation/stage piano or simply a portable workstation, ya know... simply delete the speakers and auto accompaniment features. 

• Like 1