Video Files on Forum ×

Sample Manager

Carter

I've been surprised by some recent info regarding the Sample Manager. Being able create my own detailed tones is much of the reason I have interest in the MZX. Yet now I've learned that the Sample Manager is extremely hard and may not provide all the resources needed.

I actually thought the Sample Manager provided everything except the sample source and actual sampling to create realistic acoustic tones and more. Is this incorrect?

What are the actual steps using the Sample Manager that someone would need to follow in order to create a piano tone(which is what I am most interested in) and other keyboard like tones?

Could I also try the Sample Manager out although I am yet to own MZX to see for myself?

😟

The sample manager converts WAV and AIFF audio files into Casio tone files.  If needed, editing of audio files (mixing, trimming, normalizing, EQ'g, noise reduction, setting loop markers, etc) can be done with any good DAW software.  The sample manager is not an audio  editor.  Once they are prepared, audio files can be dropped into the sample manger to create a tone.  The software allows samples to be assigned to various keys and velocity ranges.  It also allows synth (envelopes, filters, lfo, effects, etc) and effects parameter editing.   

To create a piano tone: Record a piano or acquire samples of one.  Edit the samples as needed.  Drop the samples into the sample manager.  Set key ranges and velocity ranges for the samples.  Hit the convert button.  Load the file into MZX.  Adjust synth parameters and effects.  Save the tone.  That's the basics.