Video Files on Forum ×

GITANA (Original Composition)

This is an older song of mine, but I wasn't happy with my interpretation at the time, so I "reinvented" it.  I deleted the old version.  There's a Spanish side to me (my dad was born in Malaga, Spain), although not as strong as my Cuban soul...  I have another song in the "Spanish" mode, but I have to check it out and see if it's worth redoing.  I hope you enjoy, feedback is always welcome (I work in a vacuum)!

Sergio

www.sergiosongs.com

Edited by sergio
Re-recorded at slower rhythm

Nice! Has sort of a "dark, mysterious" quality. I have a lot of Spanish guitar music in my collection that has that quality. Maybe that's the "Spanish mode" you speak of. It seems like the Cuban music I've heard is lighter, more rambunctious and fun. Am I correct Sergio?

It's really a very interesting story, Cuban music... The original people were decimated by the Spaniards, so, starting from scratch, we had all the Spanish immigrants at the time, many from the Canary Islands and from Northern Spain. From them we got a lot of our melodies...  Then came the black slaves from Africa, and they brought their rich traditions of percussion, rhythms, etc. The blend of the two, with even  Chinese influences, created Cuban music.  I really don't know a lot about it, but recently  I came across this Wikipedia link that tells you (and me) anything you wanted to know about Cuban music. One thing, though, Cuban music has powerfully traveled through the planet, influencing it all the way.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BAsica_de_Cuba

Sorry, it's in Spanish, but I'm sure Google can translate.

I'm glad you liked the song...  I wasn't happy with the first recording, so I slowed the tempo a bit and re-recorded  it.

Sergio

• Like 1