Video Files on Forum ×

Micro tune!

rami563

Hello, Casio community! recently I was looking to buy a keyboard that it has good options, so finally I've decided to go to Guitar Center before a few days ago and I made my purchase and I'm so glad to have my XW-P1. But I've never had Casio before, and I guess I'm not really familiar with it that much since I play a lot of world music that it has a different flavor of what most of you play the music. To be able to play world music it will depend on one fact is the "scale tuner".Because without "scale tuner" we can't play world music such as Turkish, Middle Eastern and Western Europ. Yamaha they are offering a free app to be able to change some tunes.

So my question, Is it easy to access the "Micro Tuning" also called "Scale tuner" to play world music? if you know could you please explain me the steps and the options that I have to save the "Scale tuner" and how I can recall the sound faster that is already tuned? 

Thanks

download.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to disappoint but the relative tuning between notes cannot be changed on most of the tones in the XW-P1. For all tones except for solo synth tones you are stuck with 12-tone equal temperament, which of course is generally fine for western music (with a few, surprisingly common, exceptions). Well, technically the acoustic piano tones do exhibit stretch tuning just like a real piano, but you can't change that.

For solo synth tones you can use the KeyFollow parameter separately for each oscillator to stretch its tuning (or compress it). But that's the extent of the solo synth's ability to alter relative tuning between notes. You can't reproduce most of the alternate tuning scales that have been developed over the years both prior to and after the invention of equal temperament. 

But, there are several Casio keyboards that CAN do some of those scales as preset tuning selections, including the PX-5S and the PX-560. 

• 3 weeks later...