Video Files on Forum ×

Assign MIDI control higher than CC#97

Joaco

Hi, i have a Novation Impulse and i want to assign CC like layer vol1, layer vol2..., but they are in cc#120, #121... and i can't assign, only i can from cc#1 to cc#97. Any ideas?

*The Impulse have cc#1 to 127, so the problem is Px5

Thanks

Check this out....

http://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list

You can see that those CC numbers are fixed-are ":channel mode messages" meaning these can't be changed to anything other than their specific assignments. This is part of the midi standard definitions for all midi musical instruments across brands. The Novation must also be designed to use those cc numbers only for what the definitions describe. for example cc 123 will only send an "all notes off" (mute) message. This cc number cannot be used for anything else. However the "undefined" numbers can be used by you for whatever uses are not already available in the other cc message assignments. You would have to look up the midi implementation and create a sysex message in order to assign the cc number from the undefined list to whatever you want your keyboard or module to do. Hope ths helps you.

• Like 2

Joaco, having trouble pasting the link but see a thread on this forum called CC102 where I had an exchange with Mike Martin about this issue about five year ago.  Bottom line is that there is no solution except adding a product like the MIDI Solution Event Processor between your Casio and Novation.

I'm a little perplexed by the question. "Layer vol1, layer vol2" are not "in" cc#120, 121 in the first place. If we are talking about Hex Layer volume levels they are controlled by NRPN, which uses MIDI CC #96 and #97. In no MIDI sound source that I know of do you get to choose which CC numbers control which parameters so the question doesn't make sense to me. 

BTW, judging by what I see in the Impulse's user manual starting on page 39, NRPN messages can indeed be assigned to its controllers. So, for instance, arranging for six of the knobs or better yet six of the sliders to control the volumes of the individual layers in a Hex Layer tone is possible. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2018 at 10:02 AM, AlenK said:

I'm a little perplexed by the question. "Layer vol1, layer vol2" are not "in" cc#120, 121 in the first place. If we are talking about Hex Layer volume levels they are controlled by NRPN, which uses MIDI CC #96 and #97. In no MIDI sound source that I know of do you get to choose which CC numbers control which parameters so the question doesn't make sense to me. 

BTW, judging by what I see in the Impulse's user manual starting on page 39, NRPN messages can indeed be assigned to its controllers. So, for instance, arranging for six of the knobs or better yet six of the sliders to control the volumes of the individual layers in a Hex Layer tone is possible. 

Thanks for the replies,  English is not my native language, is difficult to my understand and express myself clearly so...if i understand right is possible control layer vol Px5 with sliders of Impulse with NRPN. 
I change the type of slider of Impulse to NRPN and appear MSB and LSB, so i put MSB 2 and LSB 0 in Novation impulse and in Px5 in Slider who control layer vol put MSB 2 and LSB 0, but is not working,  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Slider 1.png

I don't know where you got 2 and 0 from for MSB and LSB, respectively. As shown on pages 18 and 19 of the PX-5S MIDI Implementation document, the correct numbers are 5Xh and 4h. The "X" ranges from 0 to 5 to address layers 1 to 6. Those are hexadecimal numbers whereas that menu for the Impulse wants to see decimal. So you would enter 80 to 85 instead. On the other hand, 4h is also 4 in decimal. (See the conversion chart on page 81 of the MIDI implementation document.)

If I understand you correctly you say you tried the same thing "in" the PX-5S, by which I presume you mean the internal configuration for the PX-5S's own sliders. First, you do not need to set the PX-5S's sliders to do anything if you plan on controlling layer volumes with the sliders on the Impulse. Second, if you want to control layer volumes with the PX-5S's own sliders you don't need to use NRPN. It would probably work if you use the numbers I gave above but Layer Volume is already an explicit choice as a target for sliders and knobs. See page E-34 and E-35 of the PX-5S User's Guide (Tutorial).  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2018 at 4:25 PM, AlenK said:

I don't know where you got 2 and 0 from for MSB and LSB, respectively. As shown on pages 18 and 19 of the PX-5S MIDI Implementation document, the correct numbers are 5Xh and 4h. The "X" ranges from 0 to 5 to address layers 1 to 6. Those are hexadecimal numbers whereas that menu for the Impulse wants to see decimal. So you would enter 112 to 117 instead. On the other hand, 4h is also 4 in decimal. (See the conversion chart on page 81 of the MIDI implementation document.)

If I understand you correctly you say you tried the same thing "in" the PX-5S, by which I presume you mean the internal configuration for the PX-5S's own sliders. First, you do not need to set the PX-5S's sliders to do anything if you plan on controlling layer volumes with the sliders on the Impulse. Second, if you want to control layer volumes with the PX-5S's own sliders you don't need to use NRPN. It would probably work if you use the numbers I gave above but Layer Volume is already an explicit choice as a target for sliders and knobs. See page E-34 and E-35 of the PX-5S User's Guide (Tutorial).  

I hadn´t no idea how work midi, and the languaje make more dificult beacuause all is en english, but now i understand a few things. Whit (MIDI implementation documennt ) i can make a lot of things and they are working. Thanks.

* 5Xh >> 80 to 85 no 112 to 117 if someone uses this thread 

8 hours ago, Joaco said:

I hadn´t no idea how work midi, and the languaje make more dificult beacuause all is en english, but now i understand a few things. Whit (MIDI implementation documennt ) i can make a lot of things and they are working. Thanks.

* 5Xh >> 80 to 85 no 112 to 117 if someone uses this thread 

Right you are! I was too quick and took the wrong column in the table when I answered. I should have given it some thought. For posterity, I have corrected the post above where I made that silly error. 

Glad to hear that things are making sense now. The MIDI implementation document is a goldmine.

• Thanks 1