Video Files on Forum ×

MZ-X500 feature requests

Cercle

Please Casio. We need a firmware upgrade for the MZ-X500 urgently in order to solve the Registration changes problem.

Why other Casio products like PX-5S are saving the Registration or Stage settings without to have to save every single tone as user tone before? Why the MZ-X500 not?

In addition, only a few tones can be saved in some categories...For example, only 10 synth sounds can be saved in the user memory slots...

Solve this problem please. Is this a professional atrranger or is it not?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I'm not affiliated with Casio but I imagine that a fix for your first problem will not be forthcoming. Saving all tones used in a registration would require more Flash memory than the MZ-X500 uses now, since those tones would need somewhere to go apart from the existing user slots. The MZ-X500 does a LOT of things, so I bet that it is nearly maxed out on available Flash memory (unless you want to sacrifice user sample space). That means also that Casio probably won't be able to increase the total number of user tone slots.

If the way the MZ-X500 retrieves tones from a USB stick is anything like the way the XW-P1 retrieves tones from an SD card, then there might be a workaround to your second problem: Not enough user slots in a given tone category. On the XW-P1, you can specify a user tone slot in any PCM tone category when you retrieve a PCM tone from an SD card, not just a user slot in the PCM category the tone originally came from. (You won't be able to do the same for Hex Layer tones, as far as I know.) I can't tell from the MZ-X500 User's Guide whether it allows the same thing (and I don't own one), but then again I can't tell that the XW-P1 can do it from its User's Guide either. Of course, if it works on the MZ-X500 it does mean that when you are looking for a tone you have to remember that it may not be in its "proper" category. 

On 8/9/2018 at 6:15 AM, Cercle said:

Please Casio. We need a firmware upgrade for the MZ-X500 urgently in order to solve the Registration changes problem.

Why other Casio products like PX-5S are saving the Registration or Stage settings without to have to save every single tone as user tone before? Why the MZ-X500 not?

The MZ-X500 does it differently from the PX5S, but I don't think it's a "problem," it's just the way it's designed . I think the MZX method is closer to the way a lot of other boards work. Wasn't your Roland FA-06 similar? i.e. if you made changes to a sound, you had to save it as a user tone, and could not just save that modified tone inside a Studio Set (equivalent to Casio Stage Setting or Registration), right?

Even if Casio does do more system updates, I doubt they would make such a fundamental change to the operational architecture of the board, especially since there really isn't anything inherently wrong with how it works, even if it isn't your preference. 

In addition, only a few tones can be saved in some categories...For example, only 10 synth sounds can be saved in the user memory slots...

AlenK's workaround for this can help... you can often store sounds in other categories if you need more user slots for a particular kind of sound, by writing the sound to a USB stick and then loading the sound back in somewhere else. Certain sounds have to be in their own categories (hexlayer, tonewheel organ, and piano I think), but you should be able to save more than 10 synth sounds by saving them in another category. 

I want Casio to fix the problem with notes getting stuck in a rhythm. Sometimes when using drawbar-organs with a rhythm, there’s a note that gets stuck and plays even when you stop playing. Because of this, I can’t use drawbars with rhythms. 

• 2 months later...

@MTapaniSame problem here by mzx 300.

Honestly I don't now it is because of the drawbar organ or what. Sometimes a note gets an infinite sustain in an rhythm and plays even if you stop the rhythm. My solution was to go to mixing console, turn few channels off and on to stoo the problem.

I know, a pretty stupid problem and solution. Needs a software fix. 

16 hours ago, MNS said:

@MTapaniSame problem here by mzx 300.

Honestly I don't now it is because of the drawbar organ or what. Sometimes a note gets an infinite sustain in an rhythm and plays even if you stop the rhythm. My solution was to go to mixing console, turn few channels off and on to stoo the problem.

I know, a pretty stupid problem and solution. Needs a software fix. 

Does it happen when you work with DAW (or another external MIDI controller)?

If so, it is common problem most likely not related to your keyboard. 

I have such effect happens with other brands while playing back midi tracks controlled by DAW (actually it happens upon stopping of a playback).

On 11/1/2018 at 6:54 PM, sslyutov said:

Does it happen when you work with DAW (or another external MIDI controller)?

If so, it is common problem most likely not related to your keyboard. 

I have such effect happens with other brands while playing back midi tracks controlled by DAW (actually it happens upon stopping of a playback).

I don't use my Casio with DAW or other midi controllers, so don't know. But it is something to do with the drawbar organ-tones. Haven't had any issues after I stopped using drawbars with rhythms and chose regular organ-tones instead.