Video Files on Forum ×

HELP! Volume knob stuck wide open !!!

You could have a dirty sliding contact on the volume control potentiometer.  Try turning it from one end of its range to the other several dozen times to see if that helps.  That is the standard procedure for potentiometers, when the contact wiper arm inside them starts going bad.  At any rate, do not attempt spraying any type of electrical contact cleaner around its shaft from outside the case.  That will not get the cleaner fluid inside the potentiometer, where it needs to be, and just results in making a horrible mess.  For spray cleaning fluid to be useful, you would need to open up the keyboard's case and spray the cleaner fluid directly into the potentiometer.  The potentiometer would certainly be replaceable, but would require someone with the proper experience and tools, as well as the proper replacement part (Service Center).

You can turn the WK-7500 onboard speakers off through the Function menu.  See the bottom of the right hand column on Page E-133 of the manual.

The Pedal jack can be assigned to Sustain, Sostenuto, Soft, and Rhythm Start/Stop, but these are all on/off switch functions.  It does not accept the output of a continuously variable device like an expression control pedal.  That is to say, the Pedal jack can not be used as a volume control connection for the keyboard's internal sound system.  You would have to use a completely stand alone device (like a guitar pedal) inserted between the WK-7500's Line Out jacks and whatever audio system you have them connected to, but the Main Volume knob controls the level at the Line Out jacks the same as the onboard speakers.  So, if the speakers are stuck at top volume, the level at the Line Out jacks will be also.  This could cause overdrive and distortion in whatever audio system you are connecting to, unless you want to invest in a couple of 20db attenuator cables before you hit any expression pedal input.  I don't think you could rely on the expression pedal alone to knock the level down and still have a useful variation range left.  You can get expression (volume control) pedals in either mono or stereo.

Hey ... thanks for that!   I do have the Ernie Ball expression pedal ! 

Consider this :  an old time Casio guy (actually the guy who introduced me to the WK) suggested I NOT attempt to take the cabinet apart to replace the volume pot because too many screws and other things fall out . . . BUT . . .

He then suggested plugging the pedal into the PHONES jack, in-line to the amp -- should be a workable solution because the phone jack kills the speakers!  (says I may even enjoy a louder output than the regular line-out jack!)

I'm about to try this once I pick up a Stereo to Mono cable.  The Ernie Ball does go from zero, no-sound to 'full'

At the end of the day, I think at best, this is a good excuse to buy another keyboard!   

:-)

FOLLOW UP : 

The headphone jack works like a charm!   So my problem is solved to a certain degree for these upcoming gigs.

Come out of the headphone jack, into and out of the Ernie Ball expression pedal, on to the amps and bingo I'm in business.   The signal even seems stronger, and louder! 

Also, a Sweetwater tech guy gave me the contacts for an actual service center where I can take the keyboard to get it fixed. 

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, showkster said:

FOLLOW UP . . . I got my knob fixed, and now four gigs later, the NEW one is going out!!! 

Hopefully whoever did the repair for you stands behind their work with a warranty of some sort and makes it right for you.  It's very unusual, but not impossible for a replacement part to fail.  I would follow up with the repair shop and let them know what happened.

• 2 years later...
On 8/19/2018 at 1:29 PM, showkster said:

Someone said "IF the volume is wide open, then turn off the speakers, and use a foot "expression" peddle to control the volume to external amp/speakers."

Can this be done? 

If so, how?

The book says nothing about turning off the speakers.

🙂 Thanks

That's what Brad Saucier wrote me to do as well. Frustrating a $4.00 pot screws an entire instrument up. Disappointing to be sure.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:44 AM, showkster said:

FOLLOW UP . . . I got my knob fixed, and now four gigs later, the NEW one is going out!!! 

THE SECOND VOLUME KNOB HAS GONE OUT 

I had to go back and borrow a WK3800 from a friend to get through gigs.

CASIO seriously needs a "Quality" control on some of its components.

This frigging sucks. A $4 pot screws up a $300 keyboard. Very disappointing.