Video Files on Forum ×

What's the next best keyboard to 7500 with built-in speakers?

Lest you be tempted to consider the new CT-X models, they only come in 61 key units, so in that respect, alone, the WK-7600 is really the ONLY reasonable step-up from the WK-7500 in this price range, but even with their improved tones and rhythms, they still lack some features of the CTK/WK models, especially the CTK/WK-7XXX models.  The CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX models had the very unique position of being the only Arranger (one-man-bander) keyboards that also offered the advantage of functioning as nearly full featured non-Arranger pro-workstations, with their 16 track linear song sequencers that would work integrated with or fully separate from the Arranger song recorder track (aka "The System Track").  I know, from a music production standpoint, I was able to do things with my WK-7500 that even the Yamaha folks with their high-end Tyros Arrangers were not able to do, particularly with the 7XXX models with their additional Pattern Sequencers, but I think Yamaha finally caught up with their new $5000-$6000 USD Genos models.  My point is, I think you are going to be very hard pressed to beat the CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX units, feature for feature, in this price range.  Plus, the newer models do have a couple of important improvements - onboard EQ and sliders with 8 active steps instead of 3 on the 7XXX models.  Probably the most I could ask for is a song sequencer with full editing capabilities, but here again, the big boys, that do do that, sell for $1500-$2000 on up.  Now, if all you are looking for is a set of 76 black and white plastic keys, that you merely play like a piano, and that give you something that sounds reasonably like a piano, then the whole world is at your doorstep.  Good luck with your choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tnicoson said:

The CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX models had the very unique position of being the only Arranger (one-man-bander) keyboards that also offered the advantage of functioning as nearly full featured non-Arranger pro-workstations, with their 16 track linear song sequencers that would work integrated with or fully separate from the Arranger song recorder track (aka "The System Track"). 

To clarify, "song sequencer" is now known as "midi recorder" starting with all touchscreen models, including Privia and MZX series.  CT-X3000 and 5000 continue that trend, both having a 16 track midi recorders and a 17th system track.  They also have a pattern sequencers and phrase sequencers.  

3 hours ago, tnicoson said:

Probably the most I could ask for is a song sequencer with full editing capabilities, but here again, the big boys, that do do that, sell for $1500-$2000 on up

I'm not sure what constitutes "full" editing, but I'll just mention some highlights of the CTX line for anyone interested. CTX series has track level editing, measure level editing, event level editing and quantizing.  Each editing type has copy, paste, insert and delete.  Step input sequencing is also possible as well as punch-in and overdubbing.