Video Files on Forum ×

headphone review for PX560

Jokeyman123

I am sure many of you have the headphones you need to get the best sound from your Privia but I just finished checking out yet another set of cans on mine. It is the Samson SR850, a close relative of the Superlux I have reviewed elsewhere here. This is another well-reviewed headset elsewhere on the web, but I was curious since the Privias seem a little fussy in this area, and I am always seeking the best sounds I can get for a limited budget, although I also have much higher-priced AKGs.

If you haven't read the posts re the Superlux, I will not rehash  here. But after comparison listening tests (always subjective-opinion based) these sound very close to the Superlux which I thought were as good or better than my monitor headsets. Amazingly, the Samsons seem to have a very slight edge in upper frequency response-a little more clarity and definition than the Superlux, which I didn't think was possible given the excellent characteristics of those cans with my Privias. Given there are variations from the factory in terms of manufacture, that might be the case here, as many online have claimed these use the same drivers, which I can't say with tearing these apart. And the surround cups are a tiny bit smaller-a millimeter or two and the cans are overalla bit lighter, and seem for my preference marginally more comfortable than the Superlux. The bottom line-I find these to be another excellent set of budget headsets for the Privias and are also a little easier to order without going through  a Chinese vendor, at least here in the US. Still wouldn't get rid of the Superlux though.  Any feedback, giver it a go.

• Like 1

These are labelled as the studio reference version at 32 ohms. have the velour ear cushions. Looking at an amazon listing for these (I didn't get these from Amazon-bought from a private seller) I see 2 pictures that are different! One has small circular vents around the the back for sound (semi-open). and yet in the same listing, there are other pictures showing my design which has 4 semi-oval vents around the back. Oddly, my Superlux phones (at Amazon the first picture which is listed as the Samson although my Superlux have the red pinstriping )have the small circular vents, which leads me to believe these are variations on the same headset. The 2nd pic I posted  shows the Samson SR850 I have reviewed.

samson or.jpg

5492d979-a404-47f5-8314-2275ed336f1f._SR285,285_.jpg

It is the studio reference and is labelled on the box and in the small reference sheet that came with it. I have a sense that if there are other Samson versions of the SR, these may be the same as the variations for the Superlux.

I only see one version of the Samsons...

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/headphones/sr-series/sr850/

But there are definitely 3 different versions of the Superlux....here is a review/comparison of the Superlux HD681 3 versions, I have the HD681, not the b or f versions.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-version-of-superlux-hd-681.708902/