Video Files on Forum ×

My Brother's Song (unplugged)

May I ask how you create your mp3?  Your piano sounds very nice and rich.  My approach is, I take the audio recording (.wav) from my PX560 and convert it to mp3 with Audacity.  But I always have to manually increase the amplification of the wav file in Audacity since it imports in without enough volume (decibels).  Not sure this is the best way to get optimal results.    Any recording tips would be greatly appreciated.

That's exactly what I do, Tsquare.  I record on the PX-780's "Song Recorder", because it's easy to re-record when you want to start over.  Once I have a recording I want to listen to or upload, I transfer it to my USB memory stick, and I process the WAV file with Audacity to convert it to MP3.

I'm not an Audacity expert, but I use the "fade in" and "fade out" features to bracket a song, and I use it to do edits, etc.  I know you can do a lot with Audacity but I just haven't played with it too much.  I tried to adjust the volume in a song, that for some reason came out in lower volume than usual, and I couldn't do a good job so I left it alone.

I find that in most cases, the recording volume is a function of how hard I play and (I guess) the actual volume knob.

I use the Grand Piano setting, but I adjusted the sound a bit to make it a bit less bright.  That's my regular piano, and lately I've been transposing a semitone or two down to better fit my sense of the song.  I find that very helpful and I like the somewhat "changed" sound that happens once I lower the key.  Also, sometimes I've layered on (subtle) some strings... they add some depth and a different feeling...

• Thanks 1

BTW, I only play in the key of C (I play by ear), so the "transpose" feature of my PX-780 is extremely useful...  I hear some of my songs (before I  learned how to use this feature) that are definitely too high in pitch...  Now I can lower it.  Also, for some reason, I think it changes the sound a bit...  I don't know is it's my imagination or whether it happens in other models.

Mostly on my mother's side...  My dad also loved music, but did not play an instrument.  My brother played the piano by ear since childhood, but my mom did not want to teach him.  Instead, she taught my sister, who excelled at the Conservatory.  But not me...  I was the bottom of the totem pole.

I lucked out with the guitar lessons, and when my mom bought a beat-up piano in NYC, I transposed the knowledge to the piano.