Video Files on Forum ×

Clicky/clacky keys

Muso7

36 minutes ago, roncist said:

According to clicky/clacky keys I found this short video on youtube - but I think you can lost the casio quarantee - I dont know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAX19ZKP8vQ

Just some silicone grease to prevent plastic on plastic clicking. Should work fine. I've heard or read on this forum that this is the "repair" done by others (including dealers?) to reduce mechanical key noises.

Lubrication of keys is not a solution.  All then may return to the place.
It is good who knows how to make out and do it yourself. Or there are services nearby.
And if they can not?

Because of the bad keys old model, to pay a new models it is a question for me.
Either wait for the problem to manifest ... or not ( in new model ).

2 hours ago, jenny said:

Lubrication of keys is not a solution.  All then may return to the place.
It is good who knows how to make out and do it yourself. Or there are services nearby.
And if they can not?

Because of the bad keys old model, to pay a new models it is a question for me.
Either wait for the problem to manifest ... or not ( in new model ).

I very much doubt there will be new models of the MX series.  We're talking about how to deal with what we have now. For my solution, I use a Kronos 2 as a controller. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can tell you now that I see the pictures-this is how he XW-P1 keys are designed-with overlapping sections and screws on top. Additional grease is a special kind of white non-corrosive lubricant, specifically designed for plastic. Petroleum-based grease such as Vaseline will soften plastic and is not a good idea.

The clacking on mine was key hitting the case at the bottom-grease won't prevent that-the thin layer of felt meant as a cushion between the key bottom was the culprit on the XW-repeating myself but it is possible this might happen with the newer Casios, i can't say for certain. and the other cause may be-the top-mounted screws which (might) come loose after awhile and cause the back of the key to flex more than it should-and even hit the top case rail if it is loose enough. Again, if this happens, find someone skilled with these mechanicals and check that (Casio service only if under warranty). If not that, It is a simple design and these faults can be easily (IMO) remedied without major expense. Not DIY if you have no experience, but anyone with technical/mechanical ability might not have any trouble, with help from this forum. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same problem. I bought the CT-X800 and for five weeks it was perfect, then the day before yesterday, two keys began to become flimsy and to click to the point that I find the keyboard barely playable, namely C4 and C5. Since the keys are groupes my together by octave, I suppose that there is a problem with the octave starting at C4. This render the keyboard practically unplayable, esp. since C notes are coming over and over again in all genres of music.

I am very disappointed because other than this problem, I really enjoy playing the CT-X800. I hope that it is just this particular specimen which is faulty and that it is not a more general flaw of the CT-X700/800 or worse, of the whole CT-X range.

”Cheap” keyboards can compromise on features, but there are two areas where compromising is impossible (or else, the manufacturer will not be very successful in selling his keyboards): the quality of the sounds and the quality of the keybed.

Well I am sending the keyboard back today for repair, I’ll see if they manage to sort the problem out. But if the keys begin to get noisy and flimsy after only a couple of weeks, I fear that in the long term the keyboard might become unplayable.

Anyone who wants to mess with the grease, and I am not making a pun, it will be messy, look up music keyboard lubrication with whatever search engine you use, and you will find 1-2 different white grease lubricants specifically designed for plastic. But again, read my above post. This is what I have found from my repair experience, and i stand by what I've described. No amount of lubricant will solve the clicking keys problem of it is mechanical in nature.

• Like 1

Hi @Jokeyman123 I don’t have a clue as how the clients service will repair my keyboard. Since it has a full two-years warranty, if the problem comes back in a few weeks/months, I’ll send the keyboard back again for repairing.

Since in the CT-X range the keys are grouped by octave, my keyboard having a problem with C4 and C5, I strongly suspect that the fourth octave is not fixed firmly enough in the keyboard.

Looking at the video, there's a felt strip that looks to me a bit thin and soft.

To remain in Casio actions, the felts in the AP300 are looking a bit more substantial

tec_11.png

On an acoustic the felts are way more thick and hard. This photo was of an old piano and after years the strips looks solid. I know that if you have a cast steel frame in a big wooden box some more grams on a felt aren't a problem and when you are selling a new piano for 5000 euro some more cents on a felt strip aren't a problem, but I think that having a quiet keyboard could be a good selling point not only on prosumer market, but also in the new parents market (that jave just put the baby to sleep ;-) )

https://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/PTG/MessageImages/TinyMce/2ac84889-dda7-4549-83a4-423ca4ec30f5.jpg

vbdx66

Since in the CT-X range the keys are grouped by octave, my keyboard having a problem with C4 and C5, I strongly suspect that the fourth octave is not fixed firmly enough in the keyboard.

I also noticed that these are only notes С
Maybe you should open it yourself and see only the fastening of the octaves?
I think from the fact that you unscrew the screws at the bottom, no warranty will suffer?

Hi @jenny my keyboard still being covered by a full warranty, I’d rather let the experts repair it and not mess around with it myself. These guys are repairing Casio pianos and keyboards all day long, as well as other brands, so I suppose they know what they’re doing.

@Jokeyman123 it is not so much the noisy keys that I am dreading that the fact that they’ve become flimsy, too, which renders the keyboard unplayable with a minimum of virtuosity.

Anyway, I have packed the keyboard in its original cardboard box and it will be shipped to the repair shop tomorrow ; I’ll come back here when I’ve got news from them.

I do not recommend repairing your own keyboard, unless it's your job ...
In France, my keyboard had a warranty of two years, is it the same everywhere in the world? 
It seems that Casio should be more vigilant about the quality of its keyboards, like increasing (a little) the purchase price.
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

I am also located in France, so I sent my CT-X800 yesterday for repairing of the two faulty keys under the two-years warranty. I should get it back within a week, excepted if they must order some spare parts, they said.

Many, I fully agree with you, I’d be willing to pay 50 € more to get a more reliable instrument. The CT-X800 (and also the CT-X700, which is almost the same model) is a very nice keyboard, great sounds and styles, jammed packed with features, I also  wry much liked the feel of the keys until now... It is a pity that they seem so fragile. I strongly hope that this was a flaw pertaining to my particular keyboard and not to the whole CT-X700/800 series.

Wait and see...

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2019 at 10:13 AM, mike71 said:

Sent a mail to Casio Italy to ask them what to do for the clicky keys, added that it could be a felt problem and specifically a fallboard problem.

Wait to listen from them.

UPDATE: sent the keyboard under warranty. The authorized Casio  service took more than three weeks to look at it, and only regreased the keys. I had to phone them twice to get it back, yesterday, at least they gave the keyboard to the express courier.

Talking to them I had the impression they're mainly watch repairers and because an 88 keys synth is way bigger than a wristwatch, they have a bit of logistics problem to manage them...

Let's se how and when my PS-5 will arrive...

Update #2: keyboard arrived, and while the situation somewhat improved for the more noisy keys, didn't solve the problem completely.

I am not really satisfied by the post sales treatment I've got: I think there is some room for improvement in this area, at least for Italian customers. Just drop an e-mail explaining what the problem is and send back the piano quickly back should be a good fist step.

Hi @mike71 I somewhat got the same experience as you. Actually, the french Casio repair team is mainly repairing cameras (Their brand name is Nikken 🙄) as I understood it. I was surprised because apparently my CT-X800 remained in the repair ward only for about two hours... then they sent it back to me marked as ‘repaired’. As with your piano, I suspect that the only thing they did was greasing the keys...

My main concern now is how long the keys will work correctly... Since I have a 2-year warranty, I suppose I can always send the keyboard back if something goes wrong again, but it is a hassle really. I love the CT-X but I wished it were more reliable. We’ll see...

• Like 1

Had mine greased and it was silent for about 2 weeks then the creaking came back.

The Service centre said re-greasing would only ever be temporary and that they could not replace the keybed in that model, so they gave me a new keyboard - no problems at all now - so far.

Here, we have a 5-year warranty so I am not feeling too worried - if it happens again I will expect the same treatment or my money refunded - I have a superb and very supportive retailer too (which helps!!)

Good luck guys - don't do it yourself - get your Casio retailer to have it fixed or replaced!!!!

Pete 🙂

• 1 year later...

Hi! Thank you Jokeyman123 for your information. Is there any possibility of replacing the keys on the MZX500 with other keys? I really liked the keyboard but I don't like the keys on it. I want to stay with him for many years and so I want to know if other keys on other Casio keyboards or other brands can serve him. I also have a CDP135 and I really like the keys on it. However, they are bigger. If there were heavy or semi-heavy keys for the MZX500 it would be perfect. Is there a heavy or semi-heavy key that would be on it? Thank you very much in advance.

You can see i posted your answer elsewhere. If you have a better keyboard with better action-just connect it with a midi din cable and use the MZ-X as a tone module. I do this with the PX350-which has a great piano action and tones, but is limited in some ways for tones and the sequencer-so I connect it to other tone modules and keyboards with midi cablesw-not as compact, but works real well. I use to play a Roland MC-505, 2 Yamaha QY tone modules and the Yamaha RM1X.