Video Files on Forum ×

Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve

Although this song only has 4 chords, it's deceptively complex and I did my best to imitate the original by ear.  First time using guitar sound with pitch wheel for bends.  I think the original version has 17 tracks, mine has 9 consisting of:

1. Pop Rock1 rhythm on system track
  2. Grand piano
  3. Stereo strings
  4. Vox lead
  5. Symphony2 (hex)
  6. GM bird
  7. Lead Gtr (hex)
  8. Cho. Clean Gtr2
  9. Acous. bass

What I learned:  You cannot mess with volume control in the mixer after a track/instrument has been laid using a variable volume (i.e. I used control knob 1 to adjust volume live while playing).  I accidentally "froze" my guitar bend fades to a single volume while adjusting in the mixer.  I had to re-record to get the fades back.

Hopefully, this song (from 1997) won't make you want to arrogantly bang into people while walking down a busy sidewalk like Richard Ashcroft. Ha.

Bittersweet Symphony.mp3

I like the sound and it's very well played, but I like more melody...  I'm not familiar with the piece, so I'll listen to it again later, but it sounds very repetitive.

I wonder how you arrange the song, how you decide to add the layers and which ones, etc.   It looks like you have experience in this stuff.  Congratulations!

Yes, the original song has same repetition only varied by the singer's voice which is hard to replicate.  I've never done any multiple track recordings prior to having the PX560 so it's learn as I go.  But this is a huge feature that is fun to use.  Only caveat is you have to keep perfect time (dreaded metronome, Ha) to add tracks over each other.

I'd like to explore the layering, but I'm not sure how to use it in my arrangements.  Right now I'm focusing on improving my plain piano playing, but eventually I'd like to experiment like you.

I'm just curious, but how do you decide what voices to add to the various tracks, etc.  I wouldn't know where to begin....

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:12 AM, sergio said:

I'd like to explore the layering, but I'm not sure how to use it in my arrangements.  Right now I'm focusing on improving my plain piano playing, but eventually I'd like to experiment like you.

I'm just curious, but how do you decide what voices to add to the various tracks, etc.  I wouldn't know where to begin....

The first step to being able to layer is to first grow a big set of ears.

Listen to songs/instrumentals over and over and OVER then take note of what is going on, sound wise, THEN see if you have the sounds on your CASIO to either get them dead on or, at least, to approximate them. By doing a LOT of listening, you can learn how to "solo" each of the tracks in your mind, so you can ID the sounds.
Also keep in mind it's not necessarily the NUMBER of tracks that you have but HOW you make use of those tracks with your sounds.

For most songs, 8 tracks is the absolute minimum but sometimes, you can get by with less!

Done with less than 8 tracks on my CASIO WK-1350.

Thank you very much, skyy38.  Since I bought my PX-780, I have been "growing the big ears" you are so right about...  My keyboard allows me to create a "system track" and I can add additional tracks, but I haven't experimented much with it. 

My main goal is to play the piano better, and to compose.  But I see how the songs can be enhanced with additional layers.  I'll be more aware now of the individual sounds that make a professional production so much more powerful.

Thanks again!

21 hours ago, sergio said:

Thank you very much, skyy38.  Since I bought my PX-780, I have been "growing the big ears" you are so right about...  My keyboard allows me to create a "system track" and I can add additional tracks, but I haven't experimented much with it. 

My main goal is to play the piano better, and to compose.  But I see how the songs can be enhanced with additional layers.  I'll be more aware now of the individual sounds that make a professional production so much more powerful.

Thanks again!

Always glad to help! You're Welcome! :)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 11/6/2018 at 1:23 PM, Tsquare said:

Yes, the original song has same repetition only varied by the singer's voice which is hard to replicate.  I've never done any multiple track recordings prior to having the PX560 so it's learn as I go.  But this is a huge feature that is fun to use.  Only caveat is you have to keep perfect time (dreaded metronome, Ha) to add tracks over each other.

The whole masterpiece is great !

It was mentionned to be "repetitive" but this isn't the problem, the problem is the Bird sound mixed with some Flute that gets "stuffy" and sorry to say that, but start to ruin your wonderful song, then starts getting "boring" implying repetitive.

Other point is, "replicate the voice, actually Bird sound...

Well, i've heard and seen a talented Pianist replicating Celine's Dion's voice (from Tiianic) by interpreting her tone's voice into piano keys....so basically, to use the keys notes adapted with the lyrics tunes and tones to get the closest to the voice.

So its possible, but thats hard work !

But in your case, ur'main melody is already on Piano and it be very difficult to use a 2nd layer with Piano for the "voice"...or maybe some'PanPipe, "Chapel" ?

Anyway, for this "voice replication" story, i'll try to find back that link from YouTube and will post it to u,  as it will be easier to show u that term and at same time, how it is performed...and ofc, some inspirations to flowerish !

For the End, from your song all the Piano play, rythm etc is absolutely perfect and find it a shame or pity to see that the birds literally grinding to kill ur piano...ah

Anyway, it isnt a critic, because we will help u solve that little lack in instrumentation so it be simply Perfect as "Here with me by mercy"

Im'sure'it will be great one as'the one'lentionned a bit above !

Keep it up, u're very talented !

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:57 PM, FlashyEagle8 said:

The whole masterpiece is great !

It was mentionned to be "repetitive" but this isn't the problem, the problem is the Bird sound mixed with some Flute that gets "stuffy" and sorry to say that, but start to ruin your wonderful song, then starts getting "boring" implying repetitive.

Other point is, "replicate the voice, actually Bird sound...

Well, i've heard and seen a talented Pianist replicating Celine's Dion's voice (from Tiianic) by interpreting her tone's voice into piano keys....so basically, to use the keys notes adapted with the lyrics tunes and tones to get the closest to the voice.

So its possible, but thats hard work !

But in your case, ur'main melody is already on Piano and it be very difficult to use a 2nd layer with Piano for the "voice"...or maybe some'PanPipe, "Chapel" ?

Anyway, for this "voice replication" story, i'll try to find back that link from YouTube and will post it to u,  as it will be easier to show u that term and at same time, how it is performed...and ofc, some inspirations to flowerish !

For the End, from your song all the Piano play, rythm etc is absolutely perfect and find it a shame or pity to see that the birds literally grinding to kill ur piano...ah

Anyway, it isnt a critic, because we will help u solve that little lack in instrumentation so it be simply Perfect as "Here with me by mercy"

Im'sure'it will be great one as'the one'lentionned a bit above !

Keep it up, u're very talented !

Thanks for the compliments and comments.  I agree with your birds comments, Ha.  This was one of the earliest multi-track recordings I did (newbie) when I got my PX560.  I have since uploaded a more polished version you may be interested in: 

3 hours ago, Tsquare said:

Thanks for the compliments and comments.  I agree with your birds comments, Ha.  This was one of the earliest multi-track recordings I did (newbie) when I got my PX560.  I have since uploaded a more polished version you may be interested in: 

Ho ah ha !

I somehow expected all that, after messaging u and seeing the Date of it, LOL

Ofc, u improved'since then, i have no doubts, but didnt know u were NewBie, coz considering without Bird, it was a Pro performance !

Anyway, i downloaded ur piece and as a blind guess,  im sure its stunning A++

I'll'listening later, after my cooking and performing !

• Love 1

Ahaaaa i knew it

Its very interesting and i see for Bird feature, u played the keyboard on the Higher Octave'with some Harmonised Arpeggiator that rises&falls w some'reverse process...actually, it has some effect of C Canon Pachebel

Anyway, congrats for ur work as its very relaxing, and i love that song and i can say thats its a Hard piece where the Vocal/Bird is amplified and i really enjoyed that tune, and if i didnt'ur outcome'id had'suggested to use the High'piano's keys for emulating'the Vocals which u already did !

Byw, for your PX model, im quite jealous coz i own a CT X series and im not sure that mine is ur range, coz the Piano's tone is like a real GrandPiano...and im guessing it is a 88keys set.

However, in term of budget i was lil tempting for it, but rather looked at my piano's skills, i wouldnt afford something expensive'related to that, so sadly, i didnt.

But my wife, whose fond of'realistic piano keys, told me : why dont u go for a realistic 88keys Piano ?'but att, i was'more tempted with an Electronic Synth with knobsstill learning and performing more on Impros. So, thats it. for Jamming and for playing unseriously as im just "intermediate" NewBie... (still learning and performing more on Impros. So, thats it.)

So bylooking at that yamaha P-145, i knew it be just a realistic GPiano and nothing as'iwas'wishing ...

Anyway, can someone persuade me that Casio CT-X5000 is still good, coz im kind of Regretting a bit...although, at very start i was going for Yamaha Psr 486 something, the new one....and took that one i'have now, coz it was on Store's rack exposition, and those Keys just caught at 1st sight 

But at shop, in that day, that first Digital piano, i think'some Yamaha P 145 was tempting or might have been some Privia...nvm...