Video Files on Forum ×

Alright Smartypants! Tell Me What You Think Of This!

m10538

I love writing those goofy titles! Anyhoo, this is one of the first things I ever recorded, in 1985. 33 years ago, 😨!

I find it humorous just how musically stoopid I am. Even terms as rudimentary as measure, bar, arpeggio I have to Google to see what they mean. I read things people say here on the CMF and it sounds like quantum mechanics. My brain can't handle complexity I suppose.

I approached my keyboards caveman style: turn thing on...hit thing...thing make sound...sound is good!...ugh! One of the people I subscribe to on YouTube calls their stuff "music made by a non-musician". That's my stuff too. It's not technically proficient but I like to think my stuff has a nice " feeling" to it. What do you think?

And if you have time check out my April 4 post Sound And Fury. That's one of my favorite loud, messy ones. Gnomo Alegre gave it a fantastic review, "dirty and dangerous", I love that! I think I achieve some good drama in that. Like the "sunrise" part near the end.

I couldn't find "Sound and Fury", if you could post it again...  I like a section in the middle that has like a calliope sound, not only because of the nice sound, but because you change chords frequently, and that's a key to making the piece interesting, like it's going somewhere...  The beginning I found a bit monotonous, and again because more chord changes would spice it up.

I think you're WAY too hard on yourself (and I thought I was the worst offender). Your video on Miko was very interesting and creative, and the music background you provided was perfect. I think that you can do best if you tell a story with the video and then find the sounds that you think "fit" the material.  I really like the Miko video and I'd like to see more videos telling stories.

Thanks Sergio! That sound and fury one is here on the CMF, from April 4. I'm not hard on myself, I was just stating facts. Whenever I tried to learn more technical information about music it just hurt my brain, and I just wanted to have fun with music so I never progressed beyond a certain point. As I review my old tapes I'm surprised they make any sense at all!

You know what would be interesting is if somebody like yourself were to take this little electric piano melody or some other thing of mine and develop it to the max. I've done all I could! If you don't have anything else to do one day I'd like to hear what an actual musician would do with one of my things!

I don't know, but SOMETHING must have motivated you to pursue music back in the days...  I saw the combo of video and music background and it was great!  Does that kind of stuff make sense to you?  I mean different topics that could be expressed w/ video and you chose the right music background for the Miko tape.

I got enough work trying to squeeze my "piano lessons" (I'm kind of teaching myself) to improve my playing, but there are professional musicians that would definitely take the job.  Anybody on this forum?

All that motivated me was fun. If you read my "music is a drug" post in the Memory Lodge (ha ha, darn you auto correct!) I mean Members Lounge, that's what music is to me. Making and listening to music takes your mind away, makes you feel emotions and whatnot.

I am enjoying making these videos. You said you didn't like making videos for your music once. But it's another creative outlet for me. I'm almost done with a video that tells a story, actually it's in 5 or 6 parts that adds up to over 2 hours total! 😨! Can you imagine that! It's mostly the "loud messy" stuff too! Ah ha! If you can't force yourself to watch it I'll certainly understand!

• Like 1

I can certainly understand your appreciation of music because I feel exactly the same way.  I still think you should post the Miko video here.  Looking forward to watching the video...  wait... it's not a video....  it's a FULL MOVIE!!!  🙂  Making the video is certainly a very creative exercise, so good for you to make them!

• Like 1