Video Files on Forum ×

Cuando Calienta el Sol

sergio

Hey, sergio! You already know me, and know I'm not just some jerk (I'll assume) so I should be able to say this. I can't stand the thought of making somebody feel bad but I know you want to improve your skills. I listened carefully 3 times and these things were jarring to me: at 52 seconds the strings sound strange. At 1:07 and 1:18 it seems like you accidentally hit a couple of adjacent keys (maybe you wanted to hit those, I don't know).

Other than that this sounds like a good intro to an accompaniment piece. I want to hear the accompaniment burst in like in the Billy Ward and the Dominoes song Stardust (I love that!). Not the same rhythm of course.

What do you think?

You are quite right on both counts...  First, the strings layer is still too loud.  I lowered the setting to -22 or -23 (don't remember) and the lowest you can set it is -24.  Also, if I hold the note just a bit long, the strings dominate.  How to use this effectively is still work in progress.

I like adding the strings, I think they add some depth to the piano sound, but I agree that it must be subtle.

The errors in execution are also true, but I haven't really worked on this song (I'm really trying to arrange "On the Street Where You Live"), and why I haven't made a video of it.  I still want to "fix" it and upload it to my page, so it's on my "to do" list.  I'm not sure what you mean by an "accompaniment piece"...  I listened to the Ward song and I still don't know what you mean by "accompaniment burst".

I really appreciate honest comments because that's how I learn...  I've been busy lately, but I'm still trying to improve my solo piano, arranging other standard songs, and I really learn a lot with each one.  This particular song is very simple and it was nagging me because I love the melody.  But it needs work, on the list...  😀

About the accompaniment, there is a point where the notes are rising, similar to the Stardust song right before the beat cuts in. You could have this piano and strings piece as the intro to the rest of the song with a rhythm. For whatever reason this tune to me would be best with accompaniment, not a solo instrument.

Keep improvin' Sergio! 😀

When I listen to my songs, I recognize that some of them sound good with the rhythm, but not all of them...  I have two in particular that I'd like to do again, but I just want to move forward and not backward fixing things.

But a while ago I felt that I needed to get off the rhythm and play solo...  You encouraged me, but I had already decided.  I'm still in that phase...  The rhythm accompaniment (for me) is a great tool for composing, because it establishes a path, I don't know how to explain it, but it's a crutch.  I agree that some songs are enhanced that way, and I'm becoming more aware as I learn (hopefully).  I don't think I want to add rhythm to this song, which was so awfully presented in its heyday...