Video Files on Forum ×

Service in Bay Area for out of warranty MZ-X500

Rudolph R-N R

Damn!  My beloved X500 hums/screams (as in embarrassingly loud) when I plug the left output into a speaker.  It doesn’t do this thru the onboard speakers or when I use the same cord out of the right output.  

As it is, I sometimes only need 1 output, as I use the onboard speakers plus a mono speaker (QSC K8.2).  However other times I go stereo out from the board into a stereo speaker, so having a stereo out is needed.  And, I wouldn’t want to go thru the headphone output (haven’t tried it yet), I really like the sound when the onboard stereo speakers are balanced with an external speaker.

EDIT:  wasn’t thinking when I wrote this last night.  I live in San Francisco and don’t want to ship the board out for servicing, so was looking for recommendations for the bay area.  Out of curiosity, have any of you opened up your boards?  I’m thinking maybe this is as simple as a wire that has come loose.

In other news, I’ve been attempting to use the x500 as a controller for various ipad apps.  It’s very.... confusing!  All I’VE really made out is that the X500 is not much of a controller, you’ve only got pitch/mod/k1&2/and foot pedals that can send CCs.  And that it transmits on 3 channels. (Is that right?)?  This is why people buy controller keyboards, so that you’ve got the volume and control knobs/switches to manage all the sonic goodness these ipad apps have to offer.  Gives me an appreciation for the groundwork done by keyboard makers to create accessible, user friendly music creation tools!

Randy