Video Files on Forum ×

New with thumb drive music

seevee

All,

I have a PX 850 Privia and would like to download music from my computer to a thumb drive and play it.

Questions:

First, I'm having trouble formatting an 8g drive. Following the instructions in the manual, everything goes ok until the last step... pressing the SONG button to start the formatting:

Step-4.thumb.jpg.a8d196fe894a87437665fcfe209fe63a.jpg

After the SONG button is pressed, the SONG lite starts blinking and the the two L / R SONG RECORDER buttons go out and it remains like that for over 30 minutes and does not look like the book shows when formatting is complete.

FORMATTING.jpg.114a4284c66f1db75dc8f46bb296cf91.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

And can I format the thumb drive on my Mac?

Also: What formats with the Privia accept? WAV, MP3, others??? Cant see in the book where it indicates that. Thanks!

Use your computer to check the contents of the drive.  Do you see any new folders named "AUDIO" and "MUSCLIB"? (typo:  It should be "MUSICLIB") Formatting on the keyboard creates those folders and quick formats the drive to FAT32 format.  

Compatible audio files are WAV 16 bit 44.1KHz and must be named in the format "TAKE00.WAV", replacing numbers sequentially for each new file.

I don't have a PX-850 to confirm how it should work.  Something could be faulty with that thumb drive.  You could try another drive.  You can also format it to FAT32 on your computer and add those folders manually.  That may help.

And yes, audio files must be named in that format in order for the keyboard to find it.  The files also must be placed in the AUDIO folder. 

I'm not familiar with a Mac, so I don't have instructions for formatting a thumb drive from there.  I'm sure you can easily find that information on another website.

Thx for the help, but doing something wrong.

I can't format using the piano (tried several thumb drives, and get the same results).

So, I formatted to a FAT32 thumb on my Mac, and added the files AUDIO and MUSCLIB manually.

I converted one of my songs to a .WAV file, renamed it TAKE01.WAV and tried in.

Tried it in the Audio folder and the MUSCLIB folder, nothing.

I'm trying to play by pressing "FUNCTION" and then the key for "USB flash drive mode", which is the lowest white key on the keyboard.

After I pulled out the drive, I noticed that the piano created another MUSCLIB folder, with sub folders 61 thru 70. So, I put the song in folder 61, with no luck.

Folder.jpg

I'm sorry.  I made a typo above.  It was indeed supposed to be "MUSICLIB".  I missed the "I".  It's good the see the keyboard was able to create that folder.  That means the drive is working and the keyboard recognizes it.  Since your file is not playing, I would try to make an audio recording using the keyboard itself first.  At that point, WAV files should show up in the audio folder.  That would confirm everything is working correctly.