Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S vs px-560 vs px-s3000

ncarlos

Is there any significant practical difference between these three?

so far I've understood that:

• the knobs/sliders on the 5s make it better for live performance
  • the styles and the speakers on the 560/s3000 are cool features, but for playing in a band are not really relevant
  • the difference in polyphony between the three is not so significant (s3000 has 192 and the other two have each 256). Or is it?

If you could summarize for which situation each piano is more suitable, how would it look like?

px-5s: 

px-560:

px-s3000:

• Like 2

I can't speak for the 5s or 3000 not having wither but the 560-definitely a great board for either playing out or in-house. If I needed strictly for gigs, I'd probably have gone with the PX5s for a few reasons you've mentioned already-would have a little concern about carrying around an inboard speaker system-with chances for damage in a venue-and no need as I always use amps for anything bigger than in my home.  All are exceptionally lightweight and easy to move around, tough choice there. And PX5s users seem to find it easier to arrange most often used tones for a gig when switching around quickly, although the PX560 can work around that. Drop-dead easy to set up splits and layers on the PX560-but no stage settings for changing filters, eq and other sound adjustments on the fly as with the PX5S. I ended up with the PX560 because.....

1) fantastic screen and menu system-I can fly around this board from anything to anything in seconds, a tremendous help to me

2) tones are (with a few GM tone exceptions) excellent for live play-bread and butter sounds are abundant-pianos, organs, electric pianos, brass, strings and hex layers are fantastic. Mike Martin has ported many of the best PX5s sounds to the PX560-and I have uploaded a bunch of auto-arrangement rhythms playable on the 560 if you like or use that feature. If you don't, the arranger functions do not get in the way of using this as a stage piano. Both PX560 and 5S have decently large databases here already for additional tones, settings. The 3000 is newer so doesn't have that yet.

3) I do alot of multi-track recording, and although there are a few important (IMO) features missing from the midi recorder, I can work up some pretty complex arrangements quickly with the 560, you will need software and a computer to do that with the other boards and

4) Audio inputs-2 types-a mini 1/8" stereo for portable devices or a computer output and 1/4" audio inputs for mixers, other keyboards or anything that uses line outs-I use the PX560's built-in speakers and amp for a quick way to feed my multitrack recorder with multiple inputs into the 560 for monitoring while recording. And any and all levels-audio inputs, splits, layers, multi-track levels can be gotten to and adjusted-again quickly and on the fly either with the mixer settings or from other menu settings. 

A tough call, I wouldn't hesitate to use any of these professionally-look at all the youtube demonstrators. I ended up with 3-yes 3 88-key Casio Privias including an older 575 and I love playing all of them. I you have no 88-key digital instrument-I would probably have started with the 3000 and then if I needed another 88-key with more features, or a bigger screen or....whatever...then go for the 5s or 560. Even 2 Casio Privias weigh less than some single 88-key monsters, and I am not kidding, I could take 2 Privias to a gig and still not need a roady!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

PX5S vs. PX560:

https://casiomusicgear.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/the-definitive-px-5s-vs-px-560-comparison/

I see PX-S3000 as more of a home/hobbyist model than the other two, less suited for live performance (though obviously still usable for some). It has the advantage of Casio's newest action and newest piano technologies, but is less fully-featured. i.e. much less split/layer functionality, no 5-pin MIDI jacks, more cumbersome patch navigation.

I don't have a PX-5S, but I have both the PX-560 and PX-S3000.  I got the PX-560 about 2.5 years ago and still enjoy using it very much for the same reasons mentioned above.  I decided to get the PX-S3000 about 2 weeks ago because of the many positive reviews and videos on the quality of the sounds and particularly the new key action.  I ordered the PX-S3000 based purely on this and my extremely positive experience with the PX-560.  Some may say it was a big risk to purchase something I never personally tried, but I am very, very happy with it.  I personally like the PX-S3000 key action (noticeably less noisy and not as loose with a good touch and feel) and piano (my bread and butter) and acoustic sounds better than the PX-560.  The AiX and "AiR2" combo sound chip (or whatever it is correctly called) definitely seems to be an improvement.  I have been using the Reaper DAW with both keyboards the last few days and am really enjoying the quality of sounds from the PX-S3000 and the ability to get different multi-track sounds (all with the same quality effects as if I were playing each tone individually from the keyboard).  I have not been able to do this with the PX-560.  I could select different multi-track sounds, but the effects were not consistent, and some sounds did not sound quite "right" possibly because of my own inability to set it up correctly.  Although I am not a guitarist, the PX-S3000 distortion guitars sound much better to me than the PX-560's.  Also, the other acoustic sounds seem to have more realistic nuances that make them sound more convincing.  I play for my church worship team, so I also like the compactness, portability, and battery operation capability for flexibility in case I need to play where there is no electrical outlet.

I would say they compliment each other with their own strengths, and I plan to use and enjoy both for a long time. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 8:59 AM, ncarlos said:

Is there any significant practical difference between these three?

so far I've understood that:

• the knobs/sliders on the 5s make it better for live performance
  • the styles and the speakers on the 560/s3000 are cool features, but for playing in a band are not really relevant
  • the difference in polyphony between the three is not so significant (s3000 has 192 and the other two have each 256). Or is it?

If you could summarize for which situation each piano is more suitable, how would it look like?

px-5s: 

px-560:

px-s3000:

Just want to give my two cents , I was thinking about how long editing sounds excist which actually makes a keyboard a high end one. This matters to which of the above fits the performing act and they all do this.

In the end the sound that is seek is the sound that would be made and choosing the most versatile keyboard will make that happen. Preferable with enough modulation options or arranging. 

But the market changed for the kind of performer. Breath and butter sounds fitting and fully complete for a performer needs to play without noticing all the bells and whistles that what the PX-S is.

Lush pads , modulation types and various synthesis features that is the PX5S and 560. It took me a while to see what been offered. There seems no specific line here just certain feature to accommodate the keyboard with.

My two cents too: PX-5S and PX-560 have good old Midi-DIN connectors. PX-S3000 not, neither have Midi-bluetooth. This is a problem if one want to use an expander, add an external controller or have a MIDI-sync between two keyboards, not if one only needs a piano sound and rhythms and styles.

The polyphony is relative, because 5S and 560 have hex layers, so you can end up to use 12 or 14 notes on a single key.

I have to try the PX-S3000 but havin tried the other two, the 560 seems to me more useful in piano bar scenarios with only one musician and maybe a small room. THe PX-5S is more for groups or more EDM or experimental scenarios, it's less plug and play than the 560 and some features are well hidden in some submenus, and this is a bit of problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mike71 said:

My two cents too: PX-5S and PX-560 have good old Midi-DIN connectors. PX-S3000 not, neither have Midi-bluetooth. This is a problem if one want to use an expander, add an external controller or have a MIDI-sync between two keyboards, not if one only needs a piano sound and rhythms and styles.

The polyphony is relative, because 5S and 560 have hex layers, so you can end up to use 12 or 14 notes on a single key.

I have to try the PX-S3000 but havin tried the other two, the 560 seems to me more useful in piano bar scenarios with only one musician and maybe a small room. THe PX-5S is more for groups or more EDM or experimental scenarios, it's less plug and play than the 560 and some features are well hidden in some submenus, and this is a bit of problem.

Not to hijack this off topic : Those bothersome facts you've mentioned state the obvious in selecting the right keyboard. 

And probably to choose either for newer sound engine , weight or depth of sound  programming, 

either way those seems like good options to ponder about making a balanced choice what is needed. 

When people ask what fits them best, I always think, look ahead you want beautiful newest sounds go for what out now ,

If the latest sound from the keyboards in the last couple of years fit to ones liking , tweaking deep into the sounds they have those.

I also think that the reason our wish list for the next keyboard makes the obvious because their things upon themselves available on 

the keyboards just not in the right configuration in that one keyboard to pull out the hat full of sound tricks and splendor. 

People ponder is that keyboard right for me or not to I'm happy with it but and you'll see a list of derivative yes and no's. 

Its simple actually people whom love the keyboard their with their problem can be solved by someone whom spend the time programming

for the same reason they love to play it. And the people whom love to program it finds those things which could make it so much more and 

better certainly as stated with the bothersome facts. But i'm derailing now so I'll stop. :)).

• 5 months later...

@kybsammer: did you get Reaper to change the registration or tone on the S-3000 over MIDI?

I'm trying to send a program change to it using SetListMaker without success - thinking of removing the S3000 and getting an 560, but I like the small and lightweight S3000 ...