Video Files on Forum ×

Connecting to ipad 3

Hello, I am hoping I have posted in the correct place and that someone can help. I have the PX-160 and an ipad 3. My understanding was that a camera connection kit would enable me to connect the two. I bought a camera connection kit (the 30 pin to usb for ipad 3) and get the message "connected usb device requires too much power" I have tried a powered usb hub and unpowered, I can use the printer cable from keyboard to Android with no problem as a Midi. I cannot get past this message on the ipad. the camera connection kit seems to recognise other devices ok and is a genuine Apple one. The Casio website says that the keyboard is class compliant and other people seem to use the ipad 3 with the 30 pin connector (an old video on youtube even shows the straightforward connection from keyboard to ipad with no other peripherals needed).

Does anyone else use this setup or able to advise? Thanks in advance

TJ

The connection you show in your image is not what Jools has.  You are showing a newer generatiion iPad with the small "Lightning" connector.  Jools has the older iPad 3 with the large 30 pin connector.  The iPad 3 was the last release to use that connector.  The problem there is, I have never seen a "genuine" Apple 30 pin Camera Connector Kit with a power connection.  They can be had, but to my knowledge, they are not "genuine" Apple accessories.  Also, that "lack of power" message that Jools is getting is an iPad error message, not a Casio error message.  None of the Casio operating systems have the capability of generating that error message.  It is indicating that the iPad 3 has insufficient power to drive the connected device - in Jools' case - the PX-160.

Jools

Here is a link to a YouTube video of Casio Australia's Jared Beany connecting a WK-7500 to an older iPad (1 or 2) with the large 30 pin Camera Connection Kit.  Note that several times he stresses that his demo of this applies across the entire line of Casio keyboard products.  Note also, that he is not using any kind of additional power adapter to power the connection.  To be sure, at the time he made this video, I personally owned a CTK-6000, a CTK-7000, a WK-7500, and a WK-225.  I was able to connect my iPad 3, using the standard 30 pin Camera Connector Kit, to every one of them, just as shown in this video, and they all worked fine with it, and without any additional power connections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V52wSTUxCw4

Besides this video, I read 5 or 6 text reviews of the PX-160 last night, and every one of them mentioned the ability to connect it to an iPad, using the Camera Connector Kit, but not a one of them mentioned having to use any type of special power adapter.  I also checked the compatibility lists in the "Connecting to a Computer" section of the PX-160's manual, as well as those of the other keyboard's mentioned above, and all of them mention only the PC's and MAC's with their various operating system versions, but none of them mention compatibility with IPads and iOS. Since these include keyboards that have been verified to work the iPad line, we have to conclude that lack of mention of iPads in Casio's compatibility statements is really no indication that they are, in fact, incompatible.

My point in all of this is, if I were you, at this stage, I would be very reluctant to purchase an after market connection kit with a power adapter conector, and connect into my setup.  From all we have seen and read, your connection should work fine, as is.  The fact that it is not, and is generating that "power" error message indicates that something is wrong.  Bringing additional power connections into the mix, at this stage, runs the risk of damaging the connector port circuits on either or both of your devices - the iPad or the PX-160.

The PX-160 was released in mid-June 2015, which is just 4 years ago, and puts it well within the same age range of the other keyboards in this thread, so there should be no reason it should operate differently  from those other keyboards, in this respect.

To be sure, our iPad 3's are getting a bit "long in the tooth", and as they age, their lithium batteries have increasing problems coming to a full charge and/or maintaining it for a reasonably useable period of time - especially when subjected to newer operating system versions that are known to increase battery stress.  Luckily, my iPad 3 has not shown any of these signs, to date, but I have kept it at iOS version 6.3, in order to keep it compatible and working with my Akai SynthStation 49, which is absolutely essential to my work, but also has never had its firmware updated by Akai to work with the newer versions of iOS.  So there may be a bit of a hidden blessing in this.  You should check your iPad 3's battery performance to see if it is coming up to a full charge and is holding it for a reasonable period.  If it is not, then that could explain that "power" error message you are getting, and could make using a "powered" adapter in your set up a reasonable (and safe) option.

- T -