Video Files on Forum ×

Using metronome when using Local Control - PX-160

Eylenn

I would like to be able to hear my Privia-160's metronome when it's set to Local Control while connected with my computer.  

My settings: Privia PX-160, Local Control ON, connected to MacBook Air and Garageband. Sound comes from headphones connected to the computer. 

The connexion is working, I can record and playback.

My problem is that I would like to practice using the keyboard's metronome sound. It flashes but I can't hear it. I know  I can use Garageband's metronome but for that, I need to be recording. I want to practice/improvise without recording and would like to hear the metronome. Any idea? Thanks.

With your current setup, you should be hearing the metronome come from the keyboard itself (through its own speakers or it's headphone jack) but not through your MacBook.  Is this correct?  The USB cable is for MIDI only. I'm uncertain if the keyboard sends metronome data over MIDI, my guess is it doesn't.  You may have to simply swap out where your headphones are connected, from the laptop to your keyboard.

@Brad Saucier

I think based on what Eylenn is describing, she might have Local Control set to off and not on. If she has local control off and is controlling the sounds in GarageBand over USB, she wouldn’t hear the GarageBand sounds if she plugged her headphones into the keyboard to hear the metronome. The PX-160 also lacks an audio input, so she can’t route the laptop through the keyboard and hear both that way either.

@Eylenn

There is no way to use the metronome in GarageBand without starting a recording (very dumb, I know). You can install a standalone software metronome and run it in the background while you have GarageBand pulled up. If you want to keep it all inside GarageBand, you can create a new track and record a quick drum loop on it to help keep time. Just use hi-hats or woodblock to keep time and then loop that track over and over again while you practice.

• Like 1