Video Files on Forum ×

My new CT-X5000 may be partly kaput...HELP!

tkarl

My new CT-X5000 is acting weird.  Here is what it does:

1) Tone = Stage Piano 001:  2nd octave from the left, the A-note has definite "Twang" to it.  Notes either side of it, and the others, do not.  I can hear this 'twang' in most of the piano tones only on this particular "A".

2) Tone = #169:  With Touch Response = 2, I get inconsistent play in second octave from left.  Sometimes no note will sound, sometimes a sound will be heard, other times a different tone can be heard.  With Touch Response = 1 (off), the KB will sound every time.  I am playing these notes slowly & deliberately; not fast or anything. 

Can someone try this on their CT-X5000 and see if theirs does this too?

(Please note, the my CT-X-5000 is set so as to come on after a power-on with nothing saved from my last session.)

I could make audio / video recordings of these Issues if need be.

Please help!  Do I need to send my unit back?

Are you listening through the internal speakers or something else? Different speakers and headphones may enhance certain frequencies more, causing spikes that can overemphasize certain notes.  Having said that, it's normal for some sounds to vary slightly key to key due to the way real instruments are sampled and mapped to the keys. This is common to all sample based instruments. 

As far as tone #169 "VstNyGt", the full tone name is "Versatile Nylon Guitar".  Versatile tones have velocity sensitive sound effects and articulations, which could be things like slap sounds, muted pick sounds, harmonics and more.  A versatile tone may have several different layers of sounds that switch based on velocity.  These tones are mainly intended for use by preset rhythms where velocity is precisely controlled through programming.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Are you listening through the internal speakers or something else? Different speakers and headphones may enhance certain frequencies more, causing spikes that can overemphasize certain notes.  Having said that, it's normal for some sounds to vary slightly key to key due to the way real instruments are sampled and mapped to the keys. This is common to all sample based instruments. 

As far as tone #169 "VstNyGt", the full tone name is "Versatile Nylon Guitar".  Versatile tones have velocity sensitive sound effects and articulations, which could be things like slap sounds, muted pick sounds, harmonics and more.  A versatile tone may have several different layers of sounds that switch based on velocity.  These tones are mainly intended for use by preset rhythms where velocity is precisely controlled through programming.  

My '5000 is in quiet room and I am using the speakers.

On #169:  Sometimes, with considerable time where no keys are pressed and no other action or settings are changes, etc.; I can go to Tone #169, press a key, and hear nothing but the thump of the key -- with Touch set to 2 or 3.

Brad: do you have a CT-X5000?  If not, and if no other replies are forthcoming, I'll make that video.  It almost seems the my KB is either defective, or there is not enough processing power to both do Touch Sensitivity and play the sound.  I'll try my headphones to see if that 'thump' is generated as a sound or is the physical key thump.

Edited by tkarl
Added the Heaphone idea

Yes I have a CT-X5000.  What you described sounds like tone 169 is functioning normally.  As I mentioned earlier, that tone is designed to be used by preset auto accompaniment.  It's not really playable by hand as you noticed.  The velocity changes for the various effects are abrupt.  Some of the effects can be very subtle, almost inaudible sometimes based on what velocity is played.  They are designed to enhance and add realism to the guitar sound in auto accompaniment.  Again, the way it's playing is totally normal.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

Yes I have a CT-X5000.  What you described sounds like tone 169 is functioning normally.  As I mentioned earlier, that tone is designed to be used by preset auto accompaniment.  It's not really playable by hand as you noticed.  The velocity changes for the various effects are abrupt.  Some of the effects can be very subtle, almost inaudible sometimes based on what velocity is played.  They are designed to enhance and add realism to the guitar sound in auto accompaniment.  Again, the way it's playing is totally normal.  

So, anything with "Versatile" in the name is not playable?  Really?  I count 169, 170, 171, 220, 221, 257, 258!  Some exhibit the "169-phenomenon" more than others.  I also tried heavier touch responses -- all worked better than Touch-2.  The 'Thump' also comes through in my headphones -- so all this tracks what you said.  As a bonus, I tried my 001 Stage Piano tone though my headphones -- and the 'Twang' in that "A-note", I reported earlier, is completely gone!  Perhaps my on-board speakers resonate strangely with that one note?  I've changed my Touch Response to "Normal" instead of "Light" now.

My problem is TOTALLY resolved; Brad, my sincere thanks to you!!! 

Duh!  I just found the mapping for these Tones in the Appendix!  I'm not sure what it all means, but Tone #169 has all this going on: (See Attachment)!  Note: Column #2 is Velocity!

Tone 169.JPG

6 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

That particular guitar tone we were discussing is very difficult to control by hand.  Some other versatile tones are much easier to control and make for a much better live playing experience.  

I wish Casio had some instructions as to how to USE this feature.  I typed in "Versatile" in the OM, and got nothing.  Where's the "How-To"?

P.S.: This is fun!