Video Files on Forum ×

Can the Chordana App (either one) work with CT-X5000?

tkarl

I'm having difficulty getting information on whether the Chordana Play app (or the one for Piano) can work with the CT-X5000.  There is no mention of Chordana in any of the manuals, and I understand that the App needs to work with an instrument designed to work with it.  So ... can it work with the 5000?  (I'm sounding hopeful here).

If not, please advise as to which is better for learning: the CT-S300 or the CT-X800?  Does the CT-X800 work with Chordana?  If not, how good is Casio's older learning (on the CT-X800) system compared to Chordana learning aids (on the CT-S300)?  

UPDATE: I guess we in the US are relegated to the CT-S200RD.  To be released October 1, 2019?  What do these $109 boards sound like?  Are the number of songs you can learn subject to those already in the CT-S200RD, or the Chordana App?

Is there any hope for Firmware Updates on the CT-X800 to fix: 1)the inability to adjust sound volumes per layer; and 2) any hope of Chordana App compatibility?  EXTRA CREDIT:  If the CT-X800 does not work with Chordana, then why has Casio integrated a Cell Phone shelf into it?

I'll tackle a portion of these questions.  Chandler might want to add to what I'm going to write.  Both Chordana apps will work in a limited way with USB MIDI equipped models . You can download the apps and try them on your mobile device without connecting it to a keyboard.  This will give you an idea of what will and will not work.  Basically, the main piano roll teaching system will work.  It will monitor the notes you play and use the keyboard as a MIDI sound source for the lesson songs.  The list of fully compatible models for each app is in the full app descriptions in the App Store or Google Play.  As for firmware updates, we don't expect any updates. 

On 9/2/2019 at 7:03 PM, Brad Saucier said:

I'll tackle a portion of these questions.  Chandler might want to add to what I'm going to write.  Both Chordana apps will work in a limited way with USB MIDI equipped models . You can download the apps and try them on your mobile device without connecting it to a keyboard.  This will give you an idea of what will and will not work.  Basically, the main piano roll teaching system will work.  It will monitor the notes you play and use the keyboard as a MIDI sound source for the lesson songs.  The list of fully compatible models for each app is in the full app descriptions in the App Store or Google Play.  As for firmware updates, we don't expect any updates. 

OK!  What I'm hearing is the piano-roll learning will work (Good!); but full menu editing (for like the CT-X5000) will not. 

Thanks Brad!!!

There seems to be a bewildering array of differing learning methods from Casio; and no information comparing them all.

@tkarl

Brad is correct, the MIDI player functions of Chordana Play for Piano will work with any Class Compliant USB-MIDI keyboard (including the CT-X and Casiotone models), but the Piano Remote Controller (i.e. touch screen parameter editing) only works with the newer CDP-S and Privia PX models as listed on the website. Because all of the CT-X and Casiotone models have a stereo audio input jack, they will also work with the Audio Player functions (provided your mobile device has a headphone jack or you have the right dongle to add one). The PDF score viewer obviously works normally, but the option for damper pedal page turning is not compatible with the CT-X or Casiotone series. However, you can always use a third party Bluetooth footswitch pedal like the iRig Blueturn for hands-free page turning.

“Chordana Play” was originally meant to work with the older CTK and LK boards but will also support the new Casiotone models over USB (which means it will work with any Class-Compliant USB-MIDI keyboard, including the CT-X and even models intended to work with Chordana Play for Piano). It lacks the PDF score viewer and Audio Player functions, but the MIDI Player is still there. The MIDI player in Chordana Play for Piano supports 2-track recording for left and right hand parts, but the MIDI player in Chordana Play doesn’t have any recording features. 

However, one distinct advantage of the Chordana Play MIDI player is the option of overlaying sheet music notation over the usual piano roll style MIDI player. This is particularly helpful if you are still learning to read sheet music and need the visual representation of the piano roll to help you get used to it. I hope this option gets added to Chordana Play for Piano soon, but since both apps are free and rather lightweight in terms of storage space it’s not much of a hassle to use them both (and if you don’t care about the notation overlay feature, Chordana Play for Piano alone will cover all your needs). Just remember that both apps store data within separate folders in your device’s memory, so you will need to make sure to copy your MIDI files into each app’s specific folder to access them in the MIDI player.

I’m not sure where you heard that only the Casiotone CT-S200 ($109) will release in the US, but I can assure you that it’s not true. All color variants of the CT-S200 will release later this month and the CT-S300 ($139) and LK-S250 ($159) will come out in October. 

If you primarily intend to buy a keyboard for learning piano, I would recommend waiting for the LK-S250 as it has velocity sensitive keys, can connect to both apps and features the very beginner-friendly lighted key lesson system. It also has a dedicated mic port if you’re into karaoke or singer songwriter stuff.

If you’re willing to spend a bit extra for higher quality tones and more onboard features, I’d recommend getting a CT-X800 (Guitar Center exclusive in the US). Most Guitar Centers sell it as a bundle with an X-stand and sustain pedal, so if you don’t already have those accessories, it would be a very cost effective starter pack (plus it includes the power supply unlike the Casiotones). It also works with both apps, and has a grand staff LCD display plus built-in lesson system with the ability to load extra MIDI files into onboard memory via USB flash drive for app-less practice.

If you don’t need the pitch bend wheel or USB flash drive functions, the CT-X700 is a bit cheaper at $175 and will still work just fine with both apps. It is otherwise identical to the CT-X800 in features and sound quality, although it only comes with the music rest and power supply unlike the X800 bundle at Guitar Center.

If you are willing to spend a bit more to invest in an 88-key weighted model (ideal for learning piano in the long term), you should check out the CDP-S models. These are also Guitar Center exclusive, and very sleek and portable like the new Casiotones. They are fully compatible with all the features of Chordana Play for Piano, including the Piano Remote Controller for touch screen editing. The CDP-S100 ($399) is pretty basic in terms of features, but the action is great for piano practice and it can be connected to the app to add all the educational features I discussed previously. The CDP-S350 ($499) is basically an 88-key weighted version of the CT-X800. If you’re willing to wait for a better deal, these models will certainly go on sale during the holiday season.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Wow, Chandler!  That has really spelled it out for me!  I get into equipment-phobia-mania.  First I got the CT-X800, returned the un-opened box due to limitations of that KB in volume-adjusting layered sounds.  Then I got the CT-X5000 -- great KB, IMHO.  So today, I passed upon re-investigating the CT-X800 thinking I needed those learning features, not on the '5000 -- the scale notes, etc.

I'm unsure if the weighted keys would help me -- as my aspirations lie in the Korg Pa4x and what it can do, rather than an acoustic piano.

I want the Score Viewer, so it looks like this works for the '5000!  Somewhere I read that  the KB needed to be "App-Ready" by having knowledge the App was there to work as the LK-265 has. 

If I decide I need more keys, then perhaps the 'S350.

I had been evaluating the Song Books for several models, and was initially impressed with the '800 for that reason.  Then I reasoned:  Why not use a DAW to enter all those Songs -- or just get specific MIDI files for the '5000.

Thanks ever so much for your Reply.  Comment further on this post if I've got something wrong, or you feel I need further advice.

I'm learning KB from scratch.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

As a novice, that would like to learn play - I have pretty much settled on the CT-S400.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I did find that I can snag a CT-S500 for just a tad bit more (which seems like a no-brainer for future-proofing).  My concern is that it doesn't appear that the Chordana Play app is available to the CT-S500, which is super unfortunate.  Can @Brad Saucier or @Chandler Holloway shed some light on this and if we can in fact get the Chordana Play app to work on the CT-S500?

Chordana and Chordana Play for Piano have been replaced with a single app called Casio Music Space.  Casio Music Space combines everything available in the previous apps into one.  Compatibility requirements outlined for Chordana is still true for Casio Music Space.  The app will work with any MIDI keyboard.  Some additional app features are available only when connected to specific Casio models, but the basic learning tools within the app works with any MIDI keyboard, including the CT-S500.