Video Files on Forum ×

Using external controller to play drum kits

joecandy

I have connected a roland v drum kit to the midi in of the mzx 500 and can play a drum kit through its speakers. My question is how do i change the drum kit to hear different sounds. I can only hear the standard kit. What midi settings do i need to change?

Yes thanks thats got it working.

Ive tried to send the midi data on to an ipad. I can trigger the ipad from the mzx500 keyboard but not from whats coming in from the external vdrums. Im not using the midi thru but just the usb. Is there any way of controlling what midi goes out on the usb? Maybe i need a midi interface for the ipad and im expecting too much from the keyboard.

Im on firmware 1.21.

By the way, is the speaker supposed to make a lot of electrical type noise when the usb at the back is connected? I have to turn the speaker off when im not using the internal sounds.

That is likely USB ground loop noise. It is a common issue on many products, not just keyboards, when an analog audio connection is used along with a USB connection.  Do an internet search for "usb ground loop noise" and you'll find more information.  

As far as MIDI IN to USB MIDI OUT, you'll need other gear for that.  Casio's XW synths and PX-5S could do that.  The MZX models can't.