Prophet 5

Majek Skateboards

Hi,

Try this patch:

U1 330 80sSySt1

U2 221 AnSynsBrs

Reverb 18 Delay1

Chorus 02 Chorus1

By the way, any idea for a suitable preset rhythm? Or maybe recording the rhythm on the Multitrack Recorder? Which drumkit would be the most suitable?

• Thanks 1

Yeah-the bottom pitch is the bass drum, the other pitches are the tom-toms-showing he used 4 toms for the fills.  The joined notes-also called "double stops"  indicate he played 2 toms at a time, at least on the top 2 fills. The bottom variations are showing the same rhythm, but using single toms. Just like melody notes-tom pitches are placed on the staff from high to low. If you see little "X" marks-this indicates some kind of cymbal is being played-not here though. snare is usually place on the space for "A" pitch in the treble clef-2nd space from bottom, sometimes on the line note for "G". Use some reverb, the deeper pitched the set the better, why I''ve been modifying some of the stock sets in the PX560 although the "rock drum" kit which seems to show up in all our Casios might be the best. These are also "gated"-meaning the sound is cut off a bit at the end-giving the drums that characteristic shorter more accented sound, rather than a "rounder" sound with more decay, typical for a lot of Collins work back then. I'm not sure the CTX has any kind of gated reverb as a DSP but that would do it if it does, but only applied to the drums if that can be done-I don't have a CTX, just he PX's and an XW-P1.

He also worked with the electric drum machines early on-I think Korg mostly at first. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

He also worked with the electric drum machines early on-I think Korg mostly at first. 

Hi @Jokeyman123 and thanks for this crash course on drumming 😎

In the drum kits list of the CT-X700/800, patch no 581 is labelled “Electronic set”, do you think it’ll make do?

3 minutes ago, Majek Skateboards said:

I will probably record the sound audio into GarageBand then fool with its internal eq to nail the sound. 

I don’t want to do that specific song,  but get that specific keyboard-synth-like brass sound or basically what I think of when I think of Sequential/Yamaha/Dave Smith Instruments “prophet 5”.

Hi @Majek Skateboards actually there is an onboard EQ in the CT-X700 so maybe you could try to fiddle around with it before recording the patch in GarageBand.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vbdx66 said:

Hi @Majek Skateboards actually there is an onboard EQ in the CT-X700 so maybe you could try to fiddle around with it before recording the patch in GarageBand.

I will look into it. I got so lost in GB’s eq section and it’s ridiculously addictive.

I record pretty dry and then digitally manipulate later.

I will then send off my files to someone with nuendo, ableton, and Cubase and will soon hear the full sonic potential after they go deep into the mixing and mastering.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Electronic drums-yes might be closer to what you are after.

I definitely like those drums sounds, too. I could utilize that well since it goes with that prophet 5 sound and can be used pretty seamlessly for many songs.

I tend to like simpler analog sounds better than the very specific and direct DX-7 or Korg M-1 sounds. But I grew up on many of those sounds, too with that Yamaha and Korg.

• Like 1

The beautiful thing about the Prophet 5, and why Dave Smith re-invented it decades later-it had full continuous analog control of every aspect of a sound, plus amazing filters-it just plain sounded great, and was beautifully made. My first synth was a Sequential Circuits Pro-One-a monophonic not quite as well-made Prophet 5 (same company) which I sold years ago. Still can be found used but the keys were pretty awful-simply springs that touched together-false-triggered constantly-and the oscillators always drifted on me. But it sounded-fantastic. Try this little piece of software-I've saved it-it is very similar to the Pro-One-one of the first virtual software synths I downloaded years ago. Its called TS-404. Just unzip it, find the executable program-has to run on Windows though, not Android or Apple. Small program too. it includes several pre-programmed setups. Has a step editor (like the XW-P/G1). Is monophonic, but has 2 oscillators. compare this to all the new analog machines coming out now. Not too shabby. 

TS404 Analog synth.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jokeyman123 said:

The beautiful thing about the Prophet 5, and why Dave Smith re-invented it decades later-it had full continuous analog control of every aspect of a sound, plus amazing filters-it just plain sounded great, and was beautifully made. My first synth was a Sequential Circuits Pro-One-a monophonic not quite as well-made Prophet 5 (same company) which I sold years ago. Still can be found used but the keys were pretty awful-simply springs that touched together-false-triggered constantly-and the oscillators always drifted on me. But it sounded-fantastic. Try this little piece of software-I've saved it-it is very similar to the Pro-One-one of the first virtual software synths I downloaded years ago. Its called TS-404. Just unzip it, find the executable program-has to run on Windows though, not Android or Apple. Small program too. it includes several pre-programmed setups. Has a step editor (like the XW-P/G1). Is monophonic, but has 2 oscillators. compare this to all the new analog machines coming out now. Not too shabby. 

TS404 Analog synth.zip 401.19 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks!!

I have a sound bank program I could put it into right next to some Korg Krome Mellotron files. 

I am building a file in the PC as well as the iPhone. My recordings for YouTube when controlled are done through the Casio WK or CT-X, but the preferred sounds are all outside software patches  since there’s so much out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

TS404 Analog synth.zip 401.19 kB · 0 downloads

Jokeyman123,

Behringer have released a Pro One clone that mirrors the original analogue signal path and circuitry of the original SC Pro One. It also includes some modern touches such as MIDI capability. All the reviews I've read have said that it sounds fantastic and pretty much indistinguishable from the original. Another bonus is that you can hook it up to any MIDI capable keyboard and avoid all the problems  of the original SC Pro One key bed. 

It's so tempting to go out and buy all these affordable Behringer clones, but my other half says that I have too many keyboards and I'm not allowed any more! They also told me that the Novation Bass Station 2 (a hugely capable mono synth) that I was given for my 50th birthday should more than suffice, and they're probably right!

• Like 1

I took a look-yikes! I did a huge number of recordings-monophonically laying out tracks with my original Pro-One and overdubbing recordings, what fun, this looks quite amazing-wow it is identical-except what we tried to do back then which was pretty much impossible at the time-to add a midi interface, and make the keyboard playable!

i'm afraid this may end up next to, or on top of my Casios. I loved it-add a decent midi keyboard-and look at the array of patch jacks-I'm sunk! I wonder-anybody want to buy one of my Casios? No? Oh well. Repeating myself-i'm sunk. if ever there was a keyboard that taught me sound design, this was it. Could even generate "daft" crude analog "drum' sounds with the white noise and the sequencer. 

Even though all my recordings are outside patches, of course live it’s easier to use the Casio patches. Any manufacturer makes great sounds in their keyboards but mostly they’re all designed for live instead of recording.

Modern recording seems to like a simple bare bones naked patch, often the opposite of a finalized keyboard arranger patch,  but then a DAW loves to come in and dress it up.

Right now you could use patches from wherever and humble analog signals and use powerful digital technology to edit it.

This recent NAMM brought USB 2 and the dominance of keyboard controllers with the goal of working with outside software or modules.