Video Files on Forum ×

Casio SK-60 Sampler

Chas

My latest acquisition!

I've never owned an SK model, and thought it was about time that I did. The classic SK-1, 5, 200 etc. are all rather sought after these days and can command rather high prices on eBay. Then I found out about the later SK-60 model, which is actually quite a bit more powerful than the earlier SK's, with much more sampling time, higher quality sampling, sampling effects, the ability to split sampling time to one long sample, two shorter samples or four short samples. Then it also has the ability of voice cycling, meaning that with each key press it will cycle through sample 1, sample 1 - 2, sample 1 - 2 - 3, or sample 1 - 2 - 3 and 4. The possibilities this gives you is immense. Oh, and you can even assign the root sample to any specific key, then the sampler will work with that, and there are four effects pads that can work their magic on the samples.

On top of that, it has this somewhat weird "magical singer" feature that uses sort of acapello voice sounds for melody and even the "drums" (sort of like beat boxing, ish.)

Best of all, as it's not as collectable as the earlier SK's, they can be picked up for less. This one is almost in 'as new' condition too and works perfectly.

Somewhat strangely seeing as it's more powerful than the earlier SK's, it lacks both a headphone/ line out and also microphone line in jack sockets. It also seemed to have been marketed more as a gimmick/ toy rather than as a serious piece of kit.

Having a few initial try out sessions I'm very impressed at what this crazy little keyboard is capable of. And yes, I've already tried doing Paul Hardcastle's "19" and Fatboy Slim's "Rockafella Skank" with it! 😂

Plans are to add a line out and possibly a mic line in, then see if I can do an entire song with it. Maybe in conjunction with my equally bonkers Casio Rapman keyboard!

Regardless, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this SK-60. Crazy Casio at their best!

IMG_20200312_141143.jpg

IMG_20200312_141019.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...