Video Files on Forum ×

Software for song editing using MIDI connection

r_1159

hello ! after downloading loads of software on my pc i found a midi editor to work with. So i tried to edit my previously recorded midi files on midi editor which was saved on a USB stick. However the accompaniment part of the midi file is missing and only solo tracks are loaded. Can you please advise how to fix this ? 

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

With the CT-X3000/5000, accompaniment is recorded on a proprietary system track that can't be converted to a standard MIDI file.  

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to use midi connection to record the accompaniment on pc ?

On 4/20/2020 at 6:03 PM, Brad Saucier said:

I haven't tested it, but yes, it may output auto accompaniment over MIDI, so you can record it using DAW software.

hi just wanted to let you know that accompaniment can be recorded as well. I prefer recording through midi cable as all tracks can be recorded on separate tracks unlike multi track recording on CTX where accompaniment are saved on system track and cant be accessed easily. 

Using the right software and having the sound definition file is a must. It almost took me a week to find the right setup for recording song but it is worth it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, casio_style said:

This is incorrect information. Auto accompaniment on the CT-X3000 / CT-X5000 synthesizer is normally saved in midi format and then it can be played and edited in a midi editor on a computer. You can check it yourself
FUNCTION - Media - Enter - Save - Enter - Mltr SMF - Enter

That doesn't work for the OP,  and it doesn't work for me.  It does not save the system track as an SMF file.  Can you upload a video on how you accomplished that?

I did nothing specifically to save the song in midi format. I just use the standard functions that are in the synthesizer. And then this MIDI then plays on the synthesizer and on the computer, like a regular MIDI. When saving, system tracks are extracted to standard MIDI tracks, as I understand it automatically. On my synthesizer firmware version 01.06. You definitely tried this way of saving FUNCTION - Media - Enter - Save - Enter - Mltr SMF - Enter ? 

Well, if necessary, I will shoot a video about it. All this is very strange that you do not record

• Like 1

This sounds something like the SMF "extraction" process of the CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX models.  In a couple of places in the CT-X manual there are mentions of MltREC and Mltr SMF, but only in the side notes and several tables, but nothing in the actual text discussion.  Almost like Casio had started down a path, then decided to abandon it, but left some telltale footprints in the manual and maybe even in the CT-X OS (???)

If this is anything like the CTK/WK SMF extraction  process, when the System Track (the "A" Tracks) is extractrd, the extracted data is written to Tracks 1-16, overwriting any data that may have been on correspondingly numbered Tracks 1-16.  With this risk of data loss, I thought perhaps this is why Casio abandoned the SMF extraction process for the new CT-X models.

Confirmed.  CT-X3000/5000 firmware version 1.07 adds the ability to convert system track data to SMF.  Version 1.05 does not have that ability. It can be done on version 1.07 without renaming the multitrack recording.  Casio has not released any documentation on this change.  I'll try to let everyone know this has changed.

• Like 1

Hi, this is all very strange. I have converted a MRF file to SMF on’he CT-X800, which never got any OS upgrade unfortunately (Hi Casio, are you listening...?) and you can check thuis for yourself, the auto-accompaniment was converted without issue in the MIDI file. This is strange because obviously the CT-X800 is a lower-end keyboard as compared omthe CT-X3000/5000.

If you’re interested, @Chandler Holloway is investigating this matter in this thread:

The thread was originally about the reference manual written by Chandler on how to create CKF rhythms on the computer, but the discussion has now moved on over the features of the MIDI recorder of the CT-X700/800.

This feature of converting MRF files to SMF file is very powerful, it is very strange that it is almost undocumented by Casio... 🤔

Vinciane

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Zhouzhh said:

Did I miss anything? Tried save song into SMF, but still single track play back either in the board via USB stick or cakewalk in a pc. No accompaniment recorded. Updated to v1. 07 already. 

On the CT-X3000/5000, the system track will convert to SMF if solo tracks do not contain recorded data.  Once a solo track is recorded, only the solo tracks will convert.  This is due to the SMF format.  SMF has a  maximum capacity of 16 tracks.