Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S3000 MIDI playback only piano sound

Moehre

Hi all, I connected my PX-S3000 using an USB cable to my computer. Configured REAPER for recording/playback and it seemed to work.

No I selected a STRINGS sound on the PX-S3000 and recorded a track. But when I press play in REAPER I hear a piano sound, no strings?

The display on the PX-S3000 shows "Stereo Strings" as selected sound but a piano sound is played back. I tried different MIDI channels

in REAPER with no success.

What am I missing here?

Thx in advance

Moehre

Hi.  A MIDI track needs to record bank and program change data in order to select the proper tone for playback playback.  The easiest suggestion I can think of is simply start recording before you select the tone on the piano.  When you select the tone, the piano should send the program data to Reaper and record it.  

What is shown on the keyboard display is not always what you will hear when playing a MIDI recording from Reaper.  It depends on how you set it up.  When you record to Reaper (assuming just a USB connection from keyboard to computer), you are recording MIDI data to Reaper (probably through MIDI Channel 1 unless changed) and not audio or a particular sound.  Then when you click play on Reaper, it sends MIDI data back to your keyboard and triggers the default piano sound unless you record or set up a Bank/Program change in the track as Brad mentioned. 

As a side note, Casio's website has a PX-S3000 Sonar .ini patch script file that has all the sound names and is compatible and can be loaded into Reaper and allows you to select and assign different sounds to different tracks (you can create an orchestra of sounds if you want).  The great thing is you can then play the multi-track recording from Reaper and at the same time play a totally different sound from the keyboard interface.  So for example, you can record sounds like drums on track 1, electric guitar on track 2, bass on track 3, etc. and then choose a piano sound on the keyboard and play along with the recorded tracks.  If you do this, be sure to send MIDI data via different MIDI channels for each sound or else you could get strange results.

I am not sure if I am describing this correctly, but in essence the keyboard has two sets of sound generating engines (one can play MIDI from a DAW while at the same time you can play different keyboard sounds).  This is very cool and opens up a load of creative possibilities especially if you have VSTs and other plugins that you can load into Reaper. 

It can take time to learn how to do things, but there are a lot of Reaper tutorials out there that can help.

• Like 1

@kybdsammer: thx, I did not know, that there are 2 different sets of sounds in the px-s3000 for MIDI and "normal" Play - any other Keyboard I had Plays the actual selected Sound when not changing MIDI channel or program.

I will try to load the sonar script into Reaper to select the strings Sound - unfortunately there are some Problems sending program Change data to the MIDI devices - my Roland TD-30 and the Korg X50 only recognize them now and then but in most cases will not Change the Sound after sending program Change data..

Thx and greetings

Moehre