Video Files on Forum ×

Rhythm effects in recorded song

yul

Hello,

can you please confirm that a previously saved user rhythm effects (i.e. reverb) gets lost when recording a song?
The recorded song, including the rhythm seems to default to the same global effect on playback which is selected by my registration (I believe).

Is there a way to record a song with separate effects for rhythm and keyboard?

I also see in the block diagram at Appendix A5 there is a separate system effects "2".
Does this get assigned coming from my registration? Can I change it later and save it?

Thanks for clarifying.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Brad, thanks for jumping in.

I just recorded a fresh rhythm using a reverb with a delay trail.
This reverb was selected via the menu > registration 8 > rhythm > reverb and then saved.

Upon playing back this rhythm alone, the intended reverb does indeed sound (I maxed the mixer for rhymth>reverb send).

When recording a song using this same rhymth, the active registration reverb becomes the only one affecting my drums. 

Thanks

I checked into this some more.  The short answer, it's not possible to use 2 different system effects in the MIDI recorder.  Checking the effects block diagram in the manual, system effects 2 is shared by the recorded rhythm and by the solo tracks of the midi recorder.  The MIDI recorder will use the system effect types currently active for the registration rather than the rhythm, applying those effects to all solo tracks and the recorded rhythm within the song.

OK thanks. That's too bad but nice to know at least. CTX is still quite a beast.

I am also learning that the song system will create a separate copy of the registration tones to its tracks but not the drums.
If you change the source rhythm after recording, your song will be affected. Changing the registration will not affect it.

A lot to take in consideration!  I need to keep a separate note sheet handy for all these items.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

Brad, need some help please.

Can you please explain how I take advantage of system effect 2 (fx2) and DSP 2-3?

Only time I can get 2 different effect is when a rhythm played directly (fx2) and my playing with a registration (fx1).

As soon as it gets recorded it shares the same one as the registration (fx1) where the diagram would lend towards fx2.

This is confusing. I can't find a way to change effects for FX2 anywhere.

Now DSP2 and 3 is also still a mystery.. thanks

sorry Brad I edited my previous post. Please have a look? thanks :

Can you please explain how I take advantage of system effect 2 (fx2) and DSP 2-3?

Only time I can get 2 different effect is when a rhythm played directly (fx2) and my playing with a registration (fx1).

As soon as it gets recorded it shares the same one as the registration (fx1) where the diagram would lend towards fx2.

This is confusing. I can't find a way to change effects for FX2 anywhere.

Now DSP2 and 3 is also still a mystery.. thanks

System effects 2 is automatically allocated by the system.  There is no user control over it aside from selecting effects in rhythm edit mode.  System effects 2 is used whenever a rhythm is played in live a performance, so a rhythm cam have different effects from upper and lower tones.  When using the MIDI recorder, system effects 2 is shared with the rhythm, system track, and solo tracks, so everything will have the same effect.  DSP is also automatically allocated.  The user has no control of where effects are allocated.  Upper 1 has priority of DSP 1.  If Upper 1 has a tone with no DSP effect, upper 2 or lower may use DSP 1.  DSP 2 and 3 are shared with rhythms and all MIDI recorder tracks.  

Hey Brad I think I got it.

The effects 2 section is set by which ever effect you have going on at the time when you do the MIDI recording.

For separate effects 2 on rhythms, it can be set up in drum mode but may be overriden if recorded in MIDI.

This is actually quite simple and effective. Makes sense.

I tested a midi recording with effects with a separate effect on the active registration and both work at the same time.

I will play around a bit more and post if I have questions.

Cheers

• Like 1