Video Files on Forum ×

(Bridgequeen) CDP-S100 USB to iPad, isn't working?

Bridgequeen

Help. I have recently taken delivery of a CDP - S100. I am trying to connect it to my iPad 7 series with IOS 13.04. 01. I acquired USB B to A connector and a lightning converter. I have attached the USB B to to the keyboard and the A end to the converter which, in turn, is connected to the iPad. The connection doesn’t appear to be working. Am I missing something or is there a problem with the USB port in the keyboard? 

Edited by Brad Saucier
Added thread title

Is the USB-to-Lightning converter the Apple one or a third-party one? The third party ones are notoriously unreliable for this.

Also, check that the USB cable itself is good. Someone on the forums here recently had a similar problem and it turned out to be that cable.

Finally, are you using the Chordana Play for Piano app? Casio makes a few apps with Chordana in the name so make sure you're using the right one.

• Like 1

I am fairly certain that the lightning cable is an Apple,one. I got it from Amazon and it came in an Apple box. I have tried two different USB cables. I am using Chordana Play for piano. 

There is some movement with the USB B connection which is making me wonder whether this is an issue with the USB Port on the piano. 

It could be. I would try a few things first to be sure.

Do you have a computer, Mac or PC? If so, plug the USB cable between the computer and the CDP-S100 and run MIDI Monitor (Mac) or MIDI-OX (PC) and see if it tells you it received MIDI messages from the CDP-S100 by playing a few keys. That will tell you if the USB cable and port are okay or not. Try wiggling at the port on the keyboard and see if the connection stays or drops.

On your iPad, try MIDI Wrench and see what it tells you. Try the same stuff as described above and see what happens.

One more thing, on the iPad, run another music app such as GarageBand or another free music-making app that responds to external devices. See if those play from the CDP-S100.

I've never seen a faulty USB port on a Casio piano - except one that had been physically broken.  Do you have any other way to test? Do you also have a computer available? You could confirm that the piano is working on the computer as I suspect it is most likely the lightning adapter at fault. 

• 1 year later...

I had this same issue with my iPad and iPhone. I am using Flowkey and neither my iPad or iPhone was recognizing the keyboard. I installed Midi Wrench as suggested by Joe in the thread above and boom it all started working. Within Midi Wrench I could see the keys played and data from my keyboard which verified that the data was getting to my iPad. Then I opened Flowkey and it is now recognizing the keyboard too. Thanks Joe! 

• Like 2