Video Files on Forum ×

MIDI file playback on WK-7600 - TyphoonTom

I have a Casio WK7600 and am trying to load midi files on it.  I copied some midi files onto a properly and successfully formatted SD card which when I formatted it, shows the music.dat folder.  I copied my Midi files into that folder per the instructions but for some reason my Casio Keyboard WK7600 does not located the midi files but recognizes the SD card.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any help.  

The required folder on the SD Card is MUSICDAT - not music.dat.  If you copied files into a folder music.dat that either you or your computer created on the Card, the WK-7600 will never recognize them.

Any MIDI files copied into the MUSICDAT folder must have an extension of .mid. If they have an extension of .smf or anything other than .mid, the Wk-7600 will not recognize them.

To play a MIDI file, use the instructions on Page E-142 only.  Do not attempt to load them into Song Sequencer memory per the instructions on Page E-79.  Those instructions are for Casio CMS Song Sequencer files only.  The MIDI file player and Song Sequencer are totally unrelated functions.

What size SD Card are you using?

Also, it is better to start a new thread than to hijack an old thread about a totally unrelated topic with a title that has nothing to do with your question.  I nearly skipped looking at this thread, as I have no experience with generating reggae drum tracks.

I have been trying for days on end to load midi files on to my WK7600 and nothing works.  I formatted my SD card successfully and indeed have the MUSICDAT folder there.  I loaded my Midi files right into the folder.  Then per Casio's instructions, I loaded the SD card into the keyboard.  Enter the CARD button and nothing happens.  My files do not exist.  They tell me to fo;llow the instrucions on page E142 in the manual.  Nothing happens.  No midi files exist.  To this date no one can help me.  No support for Apple as well.  Any advice?

Unable to convert.  No software exists for Apple users.  Only Windows.  I followed the advice of someone plus Casio to load the midi files onto the formatted SD card into the MUSICDAT folder.  Then enter the CARD button but nothing happens.  Midi files do not appear.  I was told to follow instructions in manual on page E-142.  Nothing works.  Just sits there.  This is what I get:  See image.

IMG_3315.jpeg

Tom

To get to where you are at in your screen shot, you had to have done everything right up to this point.  This is exactly where you should be EXCEPT the bottom line of the display should be showing the name of a MIDI file.  The fact that it says "FORMAT" is telling you that the SD Card is not properly formatted for this keyboard.  You need to reformat it - IN THE KEYBOARD - NOT THE COMPUTER.  The computer can not properly format the Card for this keyboard.  The card needs to have a special partition created on it for audio files.  The computer can not do that, so when you insert a computer formatted card into the card slot, the keyboard does not see that audio file partition and you get the screen you are getting.  The format process will also create the MUSICDAT folder for you.

When you get to the screen shown in your screen shot, start with Step 3 at the bottom of the right hand column of Page E-137 of the manual, and continue with Steps 4 through 7 in the left hand column on Page E-138.  Perform all listed steps.  Do not skip anything, or the format will fail.  Notice in Step 3 that you must press AND HOLD the FUNCTION button as you momentarily press the MENU button to get to the Card Utility menu.  The PRESS AND HOLD is the step that most new owners miss.  When it asks you how much space you want to allocate for audio files, go ahead and take the max of 20 files (for a 32Gb card)  That only takes about 2.5Gb of space, and leaves you plenty for MIDI files, but also gives you ample space for audio files, should you ever need it.

Once the format is complete, you can take your card to your computer and copy your MIDI files into the MUSICDAT folder, insert it back into the keyboard, press the CARD button, and you should see the name of your first MIDI file on the bottom line of the display.  Press the PLAY/STOP button, and it should play for you.

Good luck!

@TyphoonTom  Whenever you ask a question on this forum, please create your own topic for it in the appropriate section of the forum.  All of your posts regarding MIDI file playback on the WK-7600 are now here, where you can carry on the discussion.  Your other question regarding MIDI file to AC7 conversion is not specific to the WK-7600.  Many different Casio models are compatible with AC7 rhythm files.  For that reason, your questions regarding AC7 files are now in the general Casio discussion section of the forum.  Here is the link to that.  

• Thanks 1