Video Files on Forum ×

CT-X concerns

Hello guys. I have already been to this forum before, asking for feedback on the CT-X series.

Until now, I haven't bought any keyboard. The pandemic is still ravaging our mainland and quarantines are still in place. Just recently, the virus have reached my community unit, so yeah. Our war is far from over.

I have read through other threads from this forum and I saw that some CT-X owners have noticed some key noises. I've come to ask if this is really a widespread concern, and if it is really "annoying" or "bothering" that it affects performance.

I am currently in pendulum between the CT-X3000 and Yamaha PSR-E363 or PSR-E463. If I do choose the Casio, how would I have to address this issue?

I hope that we all survive these trying times. Take care.

Best regards,

Lyndon

The keybed has been known to develop clacky keys if retaining screws become loose or some of the lubricant used on the key assembly wears off. I used my CT-X3000 regularly for about a year and a half before I noticed the noise. It’s not so loud that you can’t ignore it with headphones, but if you use the speakers a lot it can be bothersome.

If it’s still under warranty, better to just send it in and have a repair tech fix it. If you’re outside of the warranty period or you’re desperate to resolve the issue, the solution is  to open it up and retighten the screws on the loud keys. If the clacking persists, you might have to move the grease around a bit or apply some extra. Retightening solved the issue for four out of the five loud keys on my X3000, and I only had one key that I needed to dab a little grease on. There’s a lot of grease on there from the factory, so I just found a key that had a bit of extra and moved it over.

Six months later I donated it to a charity auction on Casio’s behalf, but the clacking didn’t come back in that time and I was using it just as often. I have a CT-X5000 now, and it hasn’t started clacking yet. My CT-X700 still isn’t clacky and I’ve had it for a year and half.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately I had a far less positive exoerience with this issue.

One month after having received my CT-X800, several keys became clacky. It was of course still under the warranty scheme so I sent it back for repair. I got it back rather quickly but the problem wasn't solved at all. I was traveling abroad so I put the matter aside. As Chandler said, it isn't an issue if you're playing with headphones, but it can become annoying if you're listening to the speakers.

That said, I also had the PSR E463 for a while and I completely disliked the feel of the keys.

I had the CT-X3000 for a few weeks and I liked the key feel much better than on the PSR E463.

The CT-X3000 might be a sensible choice. Its price tag is now under that if the E463, in Europe at least. Its keybed is as far as I can say better than that of its smaller brothers CT-X700/800.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure about manufacturing things but I get the feeling that a certain amount of redundancy is just part of the situation with modern affordable technology. On the subject of home keyboards Vs their professional equivalents I have a very old Casio professional keyboard which is built like a tank but I never use it cos it doesn't sound very interesting and it's too heavy. I bought the CTX 5000 so i could share it with my young son but it actually sounds much too nice to let him play on it. So in the ctx5000 I have a professional sounding keyboard ( that you could use in a film score on a movie (?) ) But at the same time it might not stand up to the physical stresses of a professionally made instrument. If the keys went I would plug in a midi controller keyboard 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My keys are a bit clacky on my 5000 and i really don't mind. It's a good sign that it is put to good use. These things are normal in my opinion. You could eventually put some grease after warranty wears out. Every played an Ensoniq SQ-80 or ESQ-1? These are still highly regarded and the keys were very noisy. It happens sometimes.