Video Files on Forum ×

metronome speed and recording

I have recently purchased the CT-x5000. It may not be complicated to some but my previous keyboard had 8 tones and 8 buttons, so it's a steep learning curve (farewell 1991 Clavinova).

I have read the manual (thoroughly) and can find little information concerning the metronome. In fact, the best information was via Youtube, 20 minutes from the end of a 3 hour review.

The issue: I would like to record some accompaniments. I wish to keep in strict time and then I can add second parts (+ more). I set the metronome to 80 and it resets to 120 once I start playing. I have tried the "To sound a pre-count or the metronome" on page EN-95 without success as it also reverts to 120.

Summary:

1 How do I record with the metronome?

2 How do I get the machine retain the speed that I set it to?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Derek

Hi Derek.  The procedure is a little different depending on which recorder you're using.  Just to be clear, are you recording a song with the MIDI recorder?  I see you're  reading the section of the manual for the MIDI recorder.  You mentioned you're recording accompaniment.  Are you recording a rhythm with the MIDI recorder system track?

Hi, Brad. Thanks for the response.

Yes, at the moment I am using the midi recorder. The next stage will be to learn how to do the same task with mp3.

The last time I tried this the rhythm accompaniment joined in. This I do not want but am stumped as to how to switch it off; sometimes it joins in and sometimes not so I don't know what I'm pressing!

I have a separate question concerning the pedal. Should I post separately?

Thanks.

Derek

1 hour ago, Cassioplaya said:

Yes, at the moment I am using the midi recorder. The next stage will be to learn how to do the same task with mp3.

The last time I tried this the rhythm accompaniment joined in. This I do not want but am stumped as to how to switch it off; sometimes it joins in and sometimes not so I don't know what I'm pressing!

Thanks.

Derek

Hello Derek

You cant record mp3 on ctx keyboard you will need to use your line out for recording. If you dont want accompaniment in your midi song dont press rhythm start bottom. Only press song record and start playing the keyboard.

9 minutes ago, r_1159 said:

Hello Derek

You cant record mp3 on ctx keyboard you will need to use your line out for recording. If you dont want accompaniment in your midi song dont press rhythm start bottom. Only press song record and start playing the keyboard.

Thanks for that.

I don't touch rhythm start; tone, song bank, choose song, choose track, record, play, swear.

best wishes

Derek

3 minutes ago, Cassioplaya said:

Thanks for that.

I don't touch rhythm start; tone, song bank, choose song, choose track, record, play, swear.

best wishes

Derek

In this case select a blank user rhythm and then record your song. 

Thanks.

Derek

I released a custom pack of “metronome Rhythms” that should solve your problem. These are Rhythms that sound like the built-in metronome, but behave in the same that a regular Rhythm does. This means you can sync one of these met-Rhythms with the onboard recorder and use it as a placeholder to help you keep time while recording. I go into great detail about all the various functions and permutations of the met-Rhythms contained within this pack, which you can read about here:

In short:

1. Import the met-Rhythm that matches the time signature you want to record in, as well as the Precount variant of that met-Rhythm (we’ll use this at the very end). If you feel that you could benefit from the subdivided variants of these met-Rhythms, import those as well.
  2. Change the tempo to what you want to start your recording at.
  3. Choose your desired Reverb, Chorus and Delay effects for the composition. Don’t worry about choosing tones or fiddling with the effects sends in the Mixer menu, just focus on choosing the type of Reverb, Chorus and Delay effects you want to use in the Function menu.
  4. Press Record/Stop to go into Record standby mode. You should have the system track selected for recording.
  5. Press the intro button on the Rhythm controller. This will start recording. Measure one will be a faux-precount measure that will count you in with some side snare hits. Measure 2 will be where your recording will actually start, and it will switch over to the regular metronome sounds with dings and woodblock to indicate the transition. The Intro pattern (your precount) automatically transitions into Variation 1 (the placeholder metronome), so you don’t need to press any buttons after you start the recording.
  6. Let the recording go for however many measures you would like. If you’re not exactly sure how long your piece will end up being, it’s better to err on the side of giving yourself too many measures to work with. This system track recording with the metronome Rhythm is just a placeholder to help you stay on beat when you’re recording the other tracks. We will eventually be replacing it in the final step, so don’t worry if you let it run longer than you need to because you can always shorten it later.
  7. (Optional) If you want to program an automated tempo change, just raise or lower the tempo while the recording is in progress. These tempo changes will automatically be recorded to the system track, allowing you to pre-program the click track as needed.
  8. (Optional) It you want to program a time signature change, you will need to import another met-Rhythm that matches the time signature you’re switching into. The system track also records any changes in Rhythm, so you can “buffer” a time signature change by changing met-Rhythms while the recording is in progress. You can’t change time signatures in the middle of a measure, though; all Rhythm changes occur on the downbeat of the next measure. It is recommended to import your two met-Rhythms into adjacent User Rhythm slots to ensure that you can quickly switch between them while the recording is going on.
  9. Once you have let the recording run for the desired number of measures, press Record/Stop to end the recording. Now the system track has your automated click track on it, and you can use this pre-programmed metronome to help you keep time while you record whatever you want to the non-system tracks (solo tracks 1 through 16).
  10. Once you have recorded all the tracks you need and the met-Rhythm is no longer required, re-record the system track placeholder, but this time, use the Precount variant of the met-Rhythm you initially used. The Precount variant has the same 1 measure side rim snare count-in measure, but the Variation 1 pattern is completely blank. So, once the Precount measure ends and the Rhythm intro transitions into the Variation 1 pattern, the click track will drop out entirely and you will only hear all the parts you’ve recorded to tracks 1-16. Let the recording run as long as you need, then end it.
  11. Enjoy your finished track with a handy-dandy precount but no pesky metronome sound.

Hope this helps!

The MIDI recorder stores tempo in the system track of each song.  Press song bank, select your song location, press record, set your tempo, then start playing on the keyboard or start a rhythm to start recording.  The tempo you set before recording will be retained on playback.  

If you want to record a song with the metronome instead of a rhythm, press song bank, select your song location, press record to show the record settings menu (this lets you select the track, recording type, metronome, and precount), cursor sideways to metronome and turn it on.  You can also turn on pre-count here.  

3 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

The MIDI recorder stores tempo in the system track of each song.  Press song bank, select your song location, press record, set your tempo, then start playing on the keyboard or start a rhythm to start recording.  The tempo you set before recording will be retained on playback.  

If you want to record a song with the metronome instead of a rhythm, press song bank, select your song location, press record to show the record settings menu (this lets you select the track, recording type, metronome, and precount), cursor sideways to metronome and turn it on.  You can also turn on pre-count here.  

Thank you, Brad. That sounds straightforward, and I actually understood it because I recognise the stages. Now I can get the stages in the correct order.

I'll try that next time I'm playing.

best wishes

Derek

Thank you, Brad. That sounds straightforward, and I actually understood it because I recognise the stages. Now I can get the stages in the correct order.

I'll try that next time I'm playing.

best wishes

Derek

... and the results are in ...

metronome > on

precount > on

bpm > 110

blank user rhythm #300 selected

"play metronome" 4 beats per bar at 110

The metronome starts the precount of 1 bar - only after you touch the keyboard. (Not mentioned in the manual, methinks.) Metronome continues through the track.

So recording works for track 1. Recorded at 110bpm but playback reverts to 120bpm.

Add track 2 with same results; precount initiated by keyboard touch, metronome plays along, recording works. Playback reverts to 120.

I'm making progress but that's annoying to have to re-set the metronome each time. 

Derek

To further clarify my previous post, song tempo is only recorded to the system track.  The tempo must be set and a new system track must be recorded before proceeding to recording solo tracks 1 through 16.  Once the system track records the tempo, it will playback at that tempo and record at that tempo for the remaining solo tracks. 

11 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

To further clarify my previous post, song tempo is only recorded to the system track.  The tempo must be set and a new system track must be recorded before proceeding to recording solo tracks 1 through 16.  Once the system track records the tempo, it will playback at that tempo and record at that tempo for the remaining solo tracks. 

Hi, Brad.

I found what you have said concerning the system track on page EN-90. I was starting with solo 1 and not really knowing the ramifications.

Thank you for the clarification and I'll start again with my new knowledge ☺

best wishes

Derek