Video Files on Forum ×

CTK7200 Auto accompaniment issues

Hi, I'm trying to play my favourite inverted chord shapes with auto-accompaniment but they are not being recognised.

I've tried straight forms and have noticed 'F' chords trigger lower accompaniment than 'C'. 'G' seems OK.

Am I missing a trick or is this a limitation of the keyboard? 

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think what you hearing is the rather abrupt octave transitions these types of auto-arrangers create-as the ranges for the bass notes in particular do not always fall where one might place them if playing the bass lines live. When I play the bass, whether working on a keyboard line or my bass guitar-I will alter my bass lines so there will be no huge octave skips-depending on the style-playing in "close" position in other words.I tend to try to keep the entire line within one octave, as with chords regardless of the chord progression. Most auto-arrangers don't seem capable of doing this-unless you create your own auto-arrangement. The chord structures seem to have the same limitations as the bass lines-and may not be voicing chord progressions in close position-but are jumping around as if you are playing block chords in root position, regardless of how you are actually playing the chord. A rather unpleasant way to my ears, but is a compromise I have found with most auto-arranger boards. Rolands (no offense to Casio) seem to have a smoother way of doing this-it takes a bit of programming at the user level to get a good balanced backing arrangement that will sound like a real ensemble of musicians, who are making constant minor or not so minor adjustments to achieve a balanced "tight" sound, both chord-wise and melodically.  Just my 2 cents.

When you play your inversions, do you want the lowest note of your chord to be used as the bass note?  If so, then you need  to select Fingered 3 as your chord fingering mode, otherwise the keyboard will most likely un-invert your inversions.  This is more commonly refereed to as "Bass on Bottom" fingering.  See "Selecting a Chord Fingering Mode" in the manual.  If this does not work for you, you may want to try Full Range fingeriing mode.  This mode parses notes played by both hands for determining the proper chord configuration.  If you are going to use Fingered 1 or Fingered 2 Chord Fingering Modes, then see the Fingering Guide in the rear of the manual for recognized chord configurations.

Thanks for these responses @Jokeyman123 and @-T-

I'll persevere and experiment further. I've created a pattern with just a bassline (Time is Tight by Booker T and the MG's).

Pretty easy to play but I'm lazy and want the Casio to do the work.

Might record it outside the lower 'chord area'. I'll also try the different Chord modes.

So I recorded the Bass line two ocatves up the keyboard and it seemed to work. "F' chord sounds relatively correct during accompaniment. Downside is the Bass is a little high. I tried octave shift but that didn't work.

Next will be to record the whole Bassline and drums in a song. Hopefully I can then live play Organ over the top.

Thanks for everyones help.