Video Files on Forum ×

MRF File playback

LoFiRiot

Hi there,

I got my CT-X700 last week and love it!  But using the data manager, I imported tracks I recorded on the keyboard onto my computer, but they arrived as unplayable MRF files.  Is there any way to play these on the computer, or open them under a different format?  There doesn't seem to be anything on Data Manager that helps with this.

Is there a way to save the music recorded on the keyboard under a different file name?

Many thanks in advance!

Kieran 

Welcome to the forums Kieran.  Congrats on your new CT-X700! 

MRF is a proprietary file format only compatible with the keyboard itself.  Unfortunately I don't think the data manager software can convert the recording to a standard MIDI file.  Property your best option to create a MIDI file is to use DAW software as your sequencer, rather than use the CT-X700 onboard MIDI recorder.  Or, you could use the software to record everything as audio tracks.  It depends on what your goal is.  I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, Brian, and so promptly too! :)

I want to record music tracks, but I thought I could transfer the keyboard tracks to the computer.  I'm not sure what data manager is for then, if it takes files from the keyboard but they can't be listened to?  

I'll have a look at DAW software, thanks, if they can be used with direct input from the USB!  I'm not familiar with it but I'll enjoy learning. 

Thanks again, I'm really enjoying using my new keyboard, the sound is great..

Kieran

On 5/21/2020 at 11:27 AM, LoFiRiot said:

I want to record music tracks, but I thought I could transfer the keyboard tracks to the computer.  I'm not sure what data manager is for then, if it takes files from the keyboard but they can't be listened to?  

It’s for archiving your recordings to free up space for new ones. With only 5 onboard recording slots, you will eventually run out of recording space if you write new stuff often. Better to be able to store your work in some form before clearing out space for new recordings, even if it’s a proprietary format that only works with CT-X700 and X800.

Speaking of the X800, the versatility of the added flash drive port adds a very convenient feature that a lot of people overlook; it can convert .MRF files to the more widely compatible .MID (aka SMF) file format. DAWs and other keyboards can read MIDI files just fine because it’s a standardized format, so you can use this feature to export an .MRF recording to .MID and then do one of two things:

1) Clean up the .MID file in a MIDI editor program (like Anvil Studio) using features like quantization and velocity editing. After your sequence is tweaked into a finished product, you can import back into the CT-X as a User MIDI song and then play it back using the original hardware. You can make an audio recording (.WAV or .mp3) of your polished, finished song by recording directly from the headphone output of the keyboard, ideally into an audio interface or the line input of your computer (if it has one).

2) Clean up the .MID file in a fully featured DAW (GarageBand, Cakewalk, Ableton, ProTools etc) like before, but instead of bringing the file back to the CT-X, you can use the library of software instruments in the DAW to fill out the song. Software instruments offer a lot of flexibility and variety compared to the preset tone library of the CT-X700, but the really good ones tend to be pricey and they can have a pretty steep learning curve, especially if you’re a first time DAW user.

Fortunately, the CT-X700 and the CT-X800 are fully compatible in terms of User Data so if you have a friend who owns a CT-X800, you can ask them to convert the .MRF file for you. If you can find a CT-X800 on display in a music store near you (most Guitar Centers here in the US stock them), can also bring along a flash drive from home and convert the files on the display model. Just make sure the store staff know what you’re doing; in my experience they’ll be happy to let you tinker with display items as long as you don’t prevent other customers from trying the keyboard out.

If I ever get my hands on a CT-X800, I will definitely volunteer my services to convert .MRF files into SMF files as a courtesy to other members of the forum. I wish Casio had built this functionality into Data Manager, but offering to convert the files myself would be the next best thing.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 9:20 PM, Chandler Holloway said:

It’s for archiving your recordings to free up space for new ones. With only 5 onboard recording slots, you will eventually run out of recording space if you write new stuff often. Better to be able to store your work in some form before clearing out space for new recordings, even if it’s a proprietary format that only works with CT-X700 and X800.

If I ever get my hands on a CT-X800, I will definitely volunteer my services to convert .MRF files into SMF files as a courtesy to other members of the forum. I wish Casio had built this functionality into Data Manager, but offering to convert the files myself would be the next best thing.

Hi Chandler,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay.  If I use Data Manager to store the files on my computer, I'm then able to reverse the operation and place them back on the 700?  I suppose the only thing then is to maybe use a mic to transfer them onto an app like Audacity?  It's a pity, but as you kindly outline, there are options.  If I brought my stuff on a flash drive to concert on the CT X800, is this a complicated operation?  Like you, I wish Casio had built the function into Data Manager, but I'm still enjoying playing and learning with this keyboard.  I'm only a beginner, so my recorded fumblings aren't worth keeping, but as often happens, we think ahead and wonder what's the potential of how things work, and with the 700, the keyboard works very well, and has many exciting features, the only query I have is the one you and Brad have kindly helped me with... :) 

5 hours ago, LoFiRiot said:

If I use Data Manager to store the files on my computer, I'm then able to reverse the operation and place them back on the 700?

Yes, the process is as follows:

1. Export the MRF recording using Data Manager. Rename the .MRF file something more descriptive (by default it has a generic label like "CT-X Multitrack Rec 001") so you can find it later.
  2. Once you're sure that you've archived a recording on your computer, you can delete the recording on your CT-X700. Use the empty slot(s) to make new recordings.
  3. When you're ready to work on that recording again, import it back to the keyboard using Data Manager. You will have to overwrite an existing recording to load it back in, but you can always archive that one as well.

I suppose the only thing then is to maybe use a mic to transfer them onto an app like Audacity?

It would be better to use a proper audio interface to directly record the headphone output of the CT-X700. The speakers are pretty thin on the CT-X700 and are meant for individual practice more than performance or recording applications.

If your computer has a dedicated line input, you could use that. If not, I recommend the Behringer UCA222 (or UCA202 if you can find it cheaper, they're exactly the same) as a budget USB recording option. This will allow you to get a much better quality recording in Audacity.

If I brought my stuff on a flash drive to concert on the CT X800, is this a complicated operation?

It's not hard. There's just a few extra steps to keep in mind if you're trying to convert a User Recording that has stuff recorded on Tracks 2-6. If you just have a simple recording that only used track 1, you can ignore these first steps.

1.  If your User Recording has material recorded on both Track 1 and any of the tracks 2-6, you will need to export your recording as two separate parts. This is because the CT-X800's SMF converter can only convert note data on Track 1 (the system track) or Tracks 2-6 (the solo tracks), not both at once.
  2. Export the original recording with all the tracks as an .MRF file using Data Manager, and rename it to indicate that it's the "master" recording. Do not lose this file.
  3. Back on the CT-X700, select the original recording in the Song List and long press Record/Stop. This will bring up "Song Clear", but we don't want that, so scroll with the arrow keys to bring up "Track Clear". The first option is Track 1, so use the +/- buttons to select a different track. Press Enter and Yes to confirm, and you will have deleted that track.
  4. Repeat this process until you have deleted all of the tracks EXCEPT track 1. Export this Track 1-only recording using Data Manager, and rename the .MRF file to indicate that it's only track 1 of the same master recording.

When you convert the Master .MRF to .SMF on the CT-X800, it will ignore all the track 1 stuff and only export Tracks 2-6. However, since you now have a separate file that only has material recorded to Track 1, the CT-X800 will convert all of the track 1 parts (layer1, layer2, split + any accompaniment parts) in the finished SMF file. You can then combine these two MIDI files into one master MIDI recording for further editing and mastering.

In any case, the process for finishing up the conversion on the CT-X800 is the same either way.

1. Create a file in the root directory of your flash drive called MUSICDAT (all caps, all one word). This file must be named correctly and cannot be placed inside any other folders on the flash drive, otherwise the CT-X800 won't be able to locate your files when it reads the drive.
  2. Place all the .MRF files you want to convert directly inside the MUSICDAT folder. They cannot be inside of any folders within the MUSICDAT folder.
  3. Plug your flash drive into the CT-X800. The USB icon should start to flash on the display when a compatible drive is detected.
  4. Go to the Function list and scroll left until you see Media. Press Enter. The keyboard may need extra time to mount your drive before it can transfer files, so if it shows Mounting, just wait a bit.
  5. In the Media Menu, scroll to bring up "Load" and press Enter. Choose "MltRec" and press Enter. Select the .MRF file you want to import using the +/- buttons and press enter. Now choose the recording slot you want to import your MRF to and press Enter. If there's an existing recording in the slot you've chosen, you'll get a warning message that says "Replace?", and if it's an empty slot, it will show "Sure?" In any case press + (Yes) to confirm.
  6. Repeat this process until you have all of your .MRFs loaded into User Recording slots. Remember to import both the Master and Track 1 copies into separate slots if necessary. Keep track of which files were imported into which slots, because once they're imported, they will lose the name you gave to the archived .MRF file. You can always play back the recording to double check if you're not sure, though.
  7. Go back to the Media menu and choose Save this time. Scroll until you see "MltR SMF" as an option, and press enter. Do not choose "MltRec", as that will export the same .MRF file you already have. Use the +/- buttons to choose a recording slot for conversion, then press Enter. Name the file if you want. Press Enter and Yes to confirm the save. It will take a little while for the save to finish since it's doing a full conversion instead of just a quick export.
  8. Repeat this process until you have all the files converted. Turn off the CT-X800 and remove your flash drive.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again, Chandler, that's an incredibly generous and detailed reply.  I'll digest the contents over the coming days, while trying to see how I can manage it.

3 hours ago, Chandler Holloway said:

If your computer has a dedicated line input, you could use that. If not, I recommend the Behringer UCA222 (or UCA202 if you can find it cheaper, they're exactly the same) as a budget USB recording option. This will allow you to get a much better quality recording in Audacity.

By "dedicated line input", do you mean a USB port?  It has that.  I'll have to research the Behringer UCA's you mention - these can record directly from the 700, using the headphones port on the Casio?  You're right about the speakers, they're fairly good for close in listening while I practice, though I prefer headphones for the closeness of the sound.  I could probably attach speakers to the Casio but really, I'm not at any stage yet beyond trying to practice chords - slowly - while studying bits of music theory.   It's been a great addition to my days!

Thanks again.. :) 

25 minutes ago, LoFiRiot said:

By "dedicated line input", do you mean a USB port?  It has that.  I'll have to research the Behringer UCA's you mention - these can record directly from the 700, using the headphones port on the Casio?

The line input would (most likely) be an 1/8" stereo jack on your computer. Not to be confused with a microphone jack (same size jack, but a mono input meant to be used with mic level signals rather than the line level output of the CT-X700). Some computers have line inputs built in, some don't. It will usually be a blue jack next to the line output (green) and mic input (pink/red).

line_in.jpg.95926deeea6b55e33135c5b9e74d80b8.jpg

The headphone output on the CT-X700 uses the full sized 1/4" stereo socket, so you'll need an adapter to connect an 1/8" stereo cable to it and run the signal into the 1/8" line input on your computer. These adapters are pretty common, there's a good chance you might already have one.

19902995_512HGvQv4L._AC_SY400_.jpg.9d4b5c2abe72458a6b9d0bc60c7b32cb.jpg

If your computer doesn't have an input, you'll need to go with an external USB audio interface like the Behringer UCA models. This will allow you to record audio directly from the headphone output on the CT-X into the line inputs of the UCA.

Again, you will need an adapter or converter cable to go from the 1/4" stereo output on the CT-X700 to the separate Left (white) and Right (red) RCA inputs on the UCA interface. The Hosa TRS-202 cable would be an all-in-one solution, but you could go for something like a Hosa CMR-206 and combine it with a 1/4" adapter if you already have one of those.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, I know I'm a bit late, but I have a question also.

"Export the MRF recording using Data Manager. Rename the .MRF file something more descriptive (by default it has a generic label like "CT-X Multitrack Rec 001") so you can find it later."

So I have data manager and the ct-x700, but I can't figure out how you export the MRF files. When I go to data manager I can see my recordings, but I can't do anything with them. Can one of y'all please assist me? 

Thank you! 

Select a recording (or multiple recordings), and then drag and drop it from the list on the right (Keyboard Data) to the list on the left (data stored on your computer).

If you're not sure where these files end up after you transfer them to your computer, go to the Preferences tab at the top and you'll see the User Data file path. I would recommend designating a folder on your computer where you want your exported recordings to go (before the transfer) so you can be sure of where they are, but you can use the default folder location that's already listed under the preferences tab to find the files after you transfer them.

I like to keep my recordings in a separate part of my hard drive specifically for music production stuff, so I created my own folder for them and then changed the file path in Data Manager so they all end up there. I think the default file location is buried somewhere in Documents, so I recommend choosing your own file location so you always know where the data ends up.

Also protip, it's better to use the built in quote function on these forums instead of typing it out in quotations. If you quote me that way, I get a notification for it and I know someone wants to get my attention. Like this:

1 hour ago, juicello said:

So I have data manager and the ct-x700, but I can't figure out how you export the MRF files. When I go to data manager I can see my recordings, but I can't do anything with them. Can one of y'all please assist me? 

The easiest way to do this is to highlight the text you want to quote someone on in their original message and then click the "quote selection" button that should pop up once you have the text selected. It will copy their quote into your reply box automatically as its own self-contained snippet of the post you're responding to, and then you can add your own response or ask a question before posting the final comment.

Hope this helps!

• 2 years later...
On 6/12/2020 at 12:43 PM, Chandler Holloway said:

Yes, the process is as follows:

1. Export the MRF recording using Data Manager. Rename the .MRF file something more descriptive (by default it has a generic label like "CT-X Multitrack Rec 001") so you can find it later.
  2. Once you're sure that you've archived a recording on your computer, you can delete the recording on your CT-X700. Use the empty slot(s) to make new recordings.
  3. When you're ready to work on that recording again, import it back to the keyboard using Data Manager. You will have to overwrite an existing recording to load it back in, but you can always archive that one as well.

It would be better to use a proper audio interface to directly record the headphone output of the CT-X700. The speakers are pretty thin on the CT-X700 and are meant for individual practice more than performance or recording applications.

It's not hard. There's just a few extra steps to keep in mind if you're trying to convert a User Recording that has stuff recorded on Tracks 2-6. If you just have a simple recording that only used track 1, you can ignore these first steps.

1.  If your User Recording has material recorded on both Track 1 and any of the tracks 2-6, you will need to export your recording as two separate parts. This is because the CT-X800's SMF converter can only convert note data on Track 1 (the system track) or Tracks 2-6 (the solo tracks), not both at once.
  2. Export the original recording with all the tracks as an .MRF file using Data Manager, and rename it to indicate that it's the "master" recording. Do not lose this file.
  3. Back on the CT-X700, select the original recording in the Song List and long press Record/Stop. This will bring up "Song Clear", but we don't want that, so scroll with the arrow keys to bring up "Track Clear". The first option is Track 1, so use the +/- buttons to select a different track. Press Enter and Yes to confirm, and you will have deleted that track.
  4. Repeat this process until you have deleted all of the tracks EXCEPT track 1. Export this Track 1-only recording using Data Manager, and rename the .MRF file to indicate that it's only track 1 of the same master recording.

When you convert the Master .MRF to .SMF on the CT-X800, it will ignore all the track 1 stuff and only export Tracks 2-6. However, since you now have a separate file that only has material recorded to Track 1, the CT-X800 will convert all of the track 1 parts (layer1, layer2, split + any accompaniment parts) in the finished SMF file. You can then combine these two MIDI files into one master MIDI recording for further editing and mastering.

In any case, the process for finishing up the conversion on the CT-X800 is the same either way.

1. Create a file in the root directory of your flash drive called MUSICDAT (all caps, all one word). This file must be named correctly and cannot be placed inside any other folders on the flash drive, otherwise the CT-X800 won't be able to locate your files when it reads the drive.
  2. Place all the .MRF files you want to convert directly inside the MUSICDAT folder. They cannot be inside of any folders within the MUSICDAT folder.
  3. Plug your flash drive into the CT-X800. The USB icon should start to flash on the display when a compatible drive is detected.
  4. Go to the Function list and scroll left until you see Media. Press Enter. The keyboard may need extra time to mount your drive before it can transfer files, so if it shows Mounting, just wait a bit.
  5. In the Media Menu, scroll to bring up "Load" and press Enter. Choose "MltRec" and press Enter. Select the .MRF file you want to import using the +/- buttons and press enter. Now choose the recording slot you want to import your MRF to and press Enter. If there's an existing recording in the slot you've chosen, you'll get a warning message that says "Replace?", and if it's an empty slot, it will show "Sure?" In any case press + (Yes) to confirm.
  6. Repeat this process until you have all of your .MRFs loaded into User Recording slots. Remember to import both the Master and Track 1 copies into separate slots if necessary. Keep track of which files were imported into which slots, because once they're imported, they will lose the name you gave to the archived .MRF file. You can always play back the recording to double check if you're not sure, though.
  7. Go back to the Media menu and choose Save this time. Scroll until you see "MltR SMF" as an option, and press enter. Do not choose "MltRec", as that will export the same .MRF file you already have. Use the +/- buttons to choose a recording slot for conversion, then press Enter. Name the file if you want. Press Enter and Yes to confirm the save. It will take a little while for the save to finish since it's doing a full conversion instead of just a quick export.
  8. Repeat this process until you have all the files converted. Turn off the CT-X800 and remove your flash drive.

Thank you so much for these detailed instructions! I've had the CT-X800 for over a year and I don't know how I overlooked this great feature!

The manual is not very clear about this either and it says nothing about exporting track1 / all others separately.

By any chance can you recommend a MIDI software that can be used to combine and edit the two exported MIDI files? (MacOS or Linux options preferred!)

I'm trying with Crescendo and MuseScore3 and my frustration is just growing.

I wonder what happens if you record track 1 empty and use the other tracks 2-6 for actual notes. Then you'd only have to export one time. I will try this and see what happens.

Again, thanks a lot for sharing this!