Video Files on Forum ×

CDP S350 midi implementation

AteS

I was searching for the midi implementation document for my CDP-S350, but couldn’f find that doc. So I downloaded that document fot CT-X 700, as the cdp s 350 is much like a ctx700 under the hood.

Does anyone know if there is a midi document for CDP-S350?

one midi question: can I trigger the variations and fill through midi?

1 hour ago, AteS said:

one midi question: can I trigger the variations and fill through midi?

No.

You could record the playback of a rhythm (with fills, variations and chord input triggered in real-time) onto track 1 in the Song Recorder and then export that song file to SMF on a flash drive. Then you can take that MIDI data and play it into the S350 from an external sequencer or DAW. This will achieve a similar effect, but with two drawbacks:

1) It’s a linear sequence, so you can’t trigger variations and fills on a whim. It will play back exactly as it was recorded in the original .MRF file you sequenced on the CDP-S350.

2) Exporting to SMF automatically converts the voice assignments to use the General MIDI voices, which tend to sound a bit cheesy and dull compared to the more expressive AiX tones that are usually utilized during lesson playback. You can revert these voice assignments to the original AiX voice set by changing the program change and bank select messages on each track in an external MIDI editor or DAW, but that adds an extra step to the process.

If you want to see what voices are normally assigned to each Rhythm part, you can connect the CDP-S350 to a MIDI monitoring program such as MIDI-OX. Set “Accomp Out” to on in the Function list on the CDP-S350 and then switch to the Rhythm you used in the recording. Upon pulling up a Rhythm in the Rhythm list, the Program Change and bank select values for each of the Rhythm parts will be sent out over MIDI Channels 9-16. Make a note of these voice assignment messages, because these are the values you should edit into that previously exported SMF file as replacements for the default General MIDI voice assignments.

• 8 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 11:21 PM, Brad Saucier said:

All of the supplied MIDI implementation information is at the end of the CDP-S350 user guide.  There is no separate document. 

Just to let you know,

SInce may 2020, apparently Casio did make the midi-implementation document for the CDP-S350.

The document is available on the website, in the section for manuals of the CDP-S350.

• Thanks 1